Locations: VA - Richmond, United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
Principal Associate, Data Science
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives. Role Description
In this role, you will:
The Ideal Candidate is:
- help our business leaders make better decisions by conducting rigorous statistical analyses of various business strategies
- build machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, validation, and deployment
- partner with a cross-functional team of data scientists, data engineers, software engineers, business analysts and product managers to deliver a product customers love
- leverage a broad stack of technologies - Python, R, Dask, SQL, AWS and more - to build and monitor models and deliver transformational insights from data
- Is statistically-minded . You understand statistical concepts like sampling, bias, uncertainty, etc. and can reason using these principles. You know how to interpret the outputs of standard statistical models. You have experience with hypothesis testing, regression models, classification models and clustering.
- Is technical . You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms. You're comfortable with Python or R, SQL, command line, AWS, etc. and are passionate about developing these skill sets further. You are able to write well documented and efficient code that is production-grade and that your team can leverage. You know how to work with messy data sources.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills . Your documentation clearly articulates your thinking and you can communicate results well to your peers and other technical and business leaders.
- Is a self-starter and a creative problem solver . You take initiative and know how to move past challenges. You iterate quickly and can tackle white space problems.
- Bachelor's Degree plus 5 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree plus 3 years in data analytics, or PhD
- At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
- At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
- Master's Degree or PhD in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Financial Engineering, Operations Research, Engineering, Physics or related disciplines.
- At least 2 years of experience with Python or R, SQL and scripting
- At least 2 years of experience working with and analyzing large datasets
- At least 2 years of experience building, analyzing and deploying machine learning models
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).