The Utilities Design and Construction Division in Capital facilities (CAP), is seeking talented engineers with project management experience in administration for a variety of horizontal construction capital improvement projects in the following business areas:
- Stormwater Construction Branch - implements construction of Capital Improvement Program (CIP) projects for the Stormwater Management Division, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services. Learn more about us.
- Transportation Branch - provide overall construction management of diverse transportation construction projects critical to Fairfax County. Learn more about us.
May be responsible for the following:
Fairfax County Government is committed to our employees, and offer comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Through LiveWell and the Benefits Division, we endeavor to cultivate a culture of wellbeing that empowers, educates and engages employees and retirees to make life-long choices that promote a holistic approach to their physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual and financial wellness. Please review our awesome benefits in the following links: Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Overall construction management and leadership of Stormwater or Transportation capital projects from concept through project close-out including: construction project management, design review for constructability, preparation of bidding and contract documents, conducting construction progress meetings, managing construction submittals and contractor questions, processing change orders, contractor payment requests, project completion, warranty inspection, coordination and collaboration with customers. Also manages, performs, and coordinates value engineering and constructability review. Ensures schedule and budget requirements are met and maintains project documentation and reporting.
- Serves as a primary point of contact with the engineering design consultant, contractor, and other agencies as required.
- Responds to technical, design and scope related questions during the design and construction phase. May make presentations to senior County leadership and to County residents.
- Able to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment; and provide outstanding customer service to using agencies and project stakeholders.
- This position may telework at least 2 to 3 days per week after an introductory period. Telework may be subject to change in accordance with latest Fairfax County policy.
- Learn more about CAP.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license.
An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity.
Please note that if the selected candidate is licensed in another state, they will be required to obtain a Virginia PE or RA license through the reciprocity process within twelve (12) months of the award letter date as a condition of employment.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 3 years of experience procuring, administering, and managing engineering and/or construction contracts in horizontal construction.
- Experience with project financial and budgetary planning, tracking, and reporting at the project level.
- At least 3 years of experience managing multiple capital projects in design or construction on transportation, or stormwater, or utility projects. Experience includes contract management, planning, budget and schedule development, site assessment, quality control, constructability reviews, construction bid document preparation, and construction administration.
- Project management experience with the approval and permitting for horizontal construction projects.
Approximately 20% of the time spent on field investigations, measurements, meetings, and reviews of Stormwater construction projects including Natural Channel Design, Stormwater basin retrofits, dredging projects, dam construction or repairs, and other stormwater projects. Ability to walk steep grades and off-street terrain. Ability to hear safety alarms in a construction site. Ability to produce handwritten and typed documents. Ability to lift 30 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.NOTE:
This position is listed as "Open Continuous". Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position(s) have been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.