Job Announcement$2,500 Signing Bonus*
This job opportunity is being re-announced. Applicants who previously applied for this job do not need to re-apply; all applications will be considered.
Participates in and leads the work crew engaged in a variety of sewer maintenance and heavy construction activities. Performs a variety of masonry work and associated tasks. Lays brick, block, and parges sewer structures, pipes, walls, and foundations. Constructs sanitary sewer infrastructure such as manholes. Sets forms, place, and finish concrete. Operates various vehicles and equipment including, but not limited to single-axle dump truck and small trailer, excavator, skid steer, flat-bed truck, pick-up truck snow plow and spreader. Performs daily vehicle inspection and completes operational check list. Estimates the amount of material necessary for each project. Engages in routine manual labor as: digging; loading; snow shoveling; grass cutting; lifting; pushing; pulling and other heavy physical work, etc. Reads and interprets engineering plans for utility locations. Acts as field lead for a team of two to eight employees directly responsible for performing and completing inspections and maintenance related activities, such as rehabilitation and repair, in an assigned geographic area. Uses laptops and asset management systems with county GIS to create, edit and complete work orders. In the absence of the senior maintenance supervisor, this position may supervise subordinate staff and perform supervisory tasks.Note:
The appointee to this position will be required to be available twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week (24/7) to respond to snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies on an as needed basis.
*A $2,500 signing bonus is available to new county employees hired in the Mason position after completing six months of employment with satisfactory performance. Applicants must possess a valid CDL at time of application submission to be eligible. Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Thorough knowledge of the equipment, materials, methods, practices and tools used in the mason trade;
- Working knowledge of common hazards and necessary safety precautions;
- General knowledge and ability to retrieve, modify, and print computer documents on a desk top computer;
- Working knowledge of local, state, and national building, land development, and safety codes;
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and materials pertinent to the construction and maintenance trades;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions, diagrams, blueprints, and manufacturers' manuals;
- Ability to accurately estimate time and material needed, determine when repair is not economically practical, and perform routine clerical tasks and arithmetical computations;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to lead others;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety guidelines and practices;
- Ability to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, working in tiring and uncomfortable positions, and frequently working in confined spaces.
High school diploma or GED issued by a state department of education, and four years of masonry or concrete construction experience to include maintenance, blue print reading and building code requirements.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid driver's license
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) Class "B".
- Tanker Endorsement required within 12 months of hire.
- Class "A" (CDL) within 12 months of hire.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driver's license check, and pre-employment physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date.
Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least five years or more of progressive experience in the masonry field.
- Experience with wastewater collection system maintenance and/or repair including cleaning, inspection, repair, excavation, backfill, masonry, and asphalt paving.
- Experience working with wastewater related tools and equipment.
- Experience using computer systems related to Microsoft Office, GIS, and asset management programs.
- Possession of any of the following certification: Advanced Traffic Control; Confined Space Entry, a Virginia Flagger Certification.
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
Hard hat, eye protection, hearing protection, safety footwear, long pants, sleeved shirt, personal fall arrest harness, emergency retrieval systems and atmospheric monitoring equipment. Candidate must be physically and mentally capable of performing confined space entry operations via 21" manholes with vertical descent using integral or portable ladders further requiring use of all applicable protective equipment and documentation. Ability to pass pre-employment physicals. Performs duties to include pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, stooping, walking, climbing in and out of catch basins and manholes (with assistance, includes removal and according to manufacturer's specifications). All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include a exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.