Specialist, Media & External Affairs - 23038
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organizations, seeks a Specialist, Media & External Affairs.
The Specialist, Media & External Affairs works to develop communications strategies and implement public relations tactics, including proactive media relations and other strategic communications to advance WWF's conservation mission and drive engagement with policymakers, the public, influencers, and media. The position supports the Media & External Affairs team's work related to the organization's Conservation goal teams.
- Support the Media & External Affairs team's work with the Conservation goal teams.
- Develops and implements comprehensive, integrated, and proactive communications strategies and tactics to promote WWF's conservation work and goals.
- Under the guidance of the Director, works with program staff to develop and implement communications strategies, including identifying audiences, messages, approaches, and other key communications elements, including key activities, deliverables, and timetables.
- Drafts story pitches, press releases, op-eds, and other communications materials.
- Proactively engages members of the news media to pitch events and story ideas, and reactively fields incoming media requests.
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with journalists, editors, producers, and other key members of the news media.
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with key internal and external partners, and with other WWF teams across the organization.
- Supports the Media & External Affairs team with events and trainings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree is required, as is knowledge of working with media and engaging in public relations tactics.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in public relations or journalism is required.
- A background in communications related to environmental issues or other scientific fields is preferred.
- Superb oral and written communications skills are a must.
- Ability to develop and implement external affairs and public relations tactics on tight deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects; create and implement tactics on tight deadlines and be a cooperative team player.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, especially relationship management skills and the ability to work productively across diverse teams, cultures, and contexts.
- Experience using multiple digital and social media platforms.
- Strong organizational/analytical skills.
- Highly-motivated, self-starter who knows how to take projects and run with them.
- May travel to field programs, other WWF offices, corporate headquarters, and other locations both domestically and internationally.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus.
- Must possess appreciation and enthusiasm for conservation.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF's core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23038
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/kL8eLQhDkwEE6TMguReBk