The Washington Post is seeking an Engineering Lead to join our Android flagship apps engineering team. This team works closely with product, design, and other engineering teams to build new features that enhance reading experience in our native Android
applications. You will perform technical analysis, design and development or enhancement of Android apps and play an integral role in helping deliver increasingly smarter mobile apps
to our users.
You will oversee the day-to-day operations for the development, implementation, administration, and support of your unit's work. Engineering Lead sets priorities, in consultation with stakeholders, and supervises a small staff (4 to 6 employees) and are responsible for overall employee development and performance management. The Engineering Lead ensure implementation of IT departmental goals and objectives within their unit.Motivation:
- You want to help bring our award-winning journalism to people every day.
- You are passionate about delivering high-quality products.
- You have opinions about leveraging the latest technology from
- Google and other solution providers to enhance the news-reading experience.
- You enjoy collaborating with colleagues across disciplines to solve problems and deliver new functionality.
- You have opinions about what makes for a good native app experience.
- You enjoy breaking down complicated problems into distinct workable pieces.
- Leads a software engineering team in the development of advanced applications for Android platform, recommends modifications to the daily operations of the team to achieve short-term priorities.
- Sets software engineering project schedules, defines project parameters and tasks and monitors project tasks; keeps the "vision" of the project, leading other toward its completion.
- Assigns responsibilities and tasks to individuals based on their skill level, task requirements, and TWP's business needs. Empowers individuals to carry out assignments with appropriate levels of supervision.
- Interacts with internal and external stakeholders to share information and improve workflow processes.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with other stakeholders, understands business processes and objectives. Balances response to stakeholder requests, requirements and priorities with adherence to IT strategic direction.
- Participates in teaching and training members of the team and oversees employee development and performance management within their unit.
- Manage on-site contractors in their unit including interviewing, selecting/recruiting, assigning work, reviewing work, and tracking expenses.
- Assures unit compliance with department policies and procedures.
- Assists Managers in managing capital, expense and headcount budgets.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, engineering or related technical field or equivalent experience
- Strong grasp of Computer Science fundamentals, high level of proficiency in Java and/or Kotlin, code optimization and application performance.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present and discuss technical and business issues appropriate to the audience.
- Knowledge of general management practices.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in translating company and department objectives into tactical and
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status. The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow