The Building Engineer II ensures sanitary, safe and comfortable facility for students, staff, and public; performs skilled and semiskilled work necessary for the safe and efficient operation of HVAC units and auxiliary equipment; ensures that assignments are completed in a proper and timely manner, and supervises and supports assigned custodians in the performance of their assignments.Qualifications:
- Education: Targeted job-related education that meets the organization's prerequisite requirements.
- Certificates & Licenses: HVAC Certification preferred strongly preferred
- Experience: Job-related experience with increasing levels of responsibility is required.
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
- Attends meetings (e.g. workshops, in-service, etc.) to convey and/or receive information.
- Cleans assigned school facilities, as may be required, (e.g. cafeteria, kitchen, and grounds) to maintain a healthy, safe, and attractive environment.
- Communicate with the principal on daily basis to discuss work planned for that day.
- Coordinates scheduled special events, meetings, building, facility safety, etc. to ensure availability of facilities (John Adams, Mt. Vernon, and Minnie Howard only) and/or equipment and number of custodians required for the special events or building rentals.
- Informs personnel regarding procedures and/or status of work orders to provide necessary information for making decisions, taking appropriate action, and/or complying with health and safety regulations.
- Inspects school facilities to ensure that the site is suitable for safe operations and maintained in an attractive and clean condition, and identifies necessary repairs due to vandalism, equipment breakage, weather conditions, etc.
- Maintains a variety of documents (e.g. inspections, performance report, and maintenance/repairs documentation) to provide an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Operate central HVAC systems, individual/zoned units, and related equipment to ensure the safe and efficient operation of HVAC units and auxiliary equipment/systems.
- Performs routine and preventive maintenance on heating and air conditioning equipment (e.g. checking fluid levels, condition of belts and pulleys, oiling/greasing motors, replacing filters, cleaning and painting machinery, etc.) to efficiently maintain climate control equipment and ensure satisfactory climate control in buildings.
- Prepare various reports (e.g. preventive maintenance schedule for the facility, work, and vacation schedules, work orders, requisitions, daily and overtime slips, annual budget requests, etc.) to provide written support and/or convey information.
- Prepares facilities for daily operations (e.g. opening gates, building access doors, disarming security systems, raising the flag, minor repairs, etc.) to ensure facilities are operational and safe for occupancy.
- Receives freight deliveries to verify the accuracy of orders and ensure proper storage.
- Recommends policies, procedures, and/or actions (e.g. equipment, products, vendors, etc.) to provide information and/or direction that ensures efficient operation of maintenance/custodial services and regulatory compliance.
- Regulates individual climate control units to ensure satisfactory climate control in an efficient manner.
- Repairs facilities and systems (e.g. boilers, locks, doors, electrical equipment fixtures, etc.) to ensure that facilities and systems are in safe operating condition.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 10% sitting, 70% walking, and 20% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and in some hazardous conditions.Clearances:
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
ACHS King Street Campus Salary Range:
$44,096.00 - $54,246.40 / Support SUP-19 Shift Type: