The job of Instructional Assistant II for Special Education was established for the purpose/s of assisting in the supervision and instruction of special needs students in the general education or special education classroom under the supervision of a certified special education teacher; observing and documenting student progress; implementing plans for instruction and behavior, and providing clerical support to the teacher. The Instructional Assistant II reports to the special educator or the school-based administrator. Qualifications:
- Education: 48 college credits or an AA degree, or be able to demonstrate
- Certificates & Licenses: CPR and First Aid Certification strongly desired, if selected candidate does not have CPR and First Aid Certification they must be able to obtain both within 6 months of employment.
- Experience: Targeted job-related education that meets the organization's prerequisite requirements. Job-related experience is required.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments, and/or materials under the direction of the teacher for the purpose of providing an opportunity for all special education students to participate in classroom activities.
- Assist children with disabilities for the purpose of helping students on and off the bus. Assist Students for the purpose of helping students with breakfast, lunch, snack, clean-up, lavatory, clothing, personal hygiene, and wash-up.
- Confers with teachers on a regular basis for the purpose of assisting in evaluating special education student progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements academic instruction taught by a special education teacher for individuals or small groups for the purpose of meeting learning goals, as described by an IEP and/or district benchmarks.
- Implements behavioral plans designed by the IEP team for students with behavior challenges or other special conditions for the purpose of assisting in meeting special education students' needs and providing a consistent environment.
- Instructs special education students (e.g. math groups, science experiments, reading, behavioral skills, daily living skills, writing, verbal skills, etc.) for the purpose of implementing goals for remediation of student deficiencies and ensuring students' success.
- Maintains instructional materials and/or student files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, student files, checking papers, attendance, audiovisual equipment, set up art/science projects, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items and/or providing reliable information.
- Monitors special education students (e.g. lunch, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs record keeping (daily data on instruction and/or behavior) and clerical functions (e.g. correcting papers, copying, instructional materials, etc.) for the purpose of supporting the teacher in providing necessary records/materials.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Responds to emergency situations (e.g. injured student, fights, etc.) for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
The Virginia Board of Education as directed by the 2012 General Assembly requires that instructional assistants assigned to work with a teacher who has primary oversight of a student with autism spectrum disorders must receive training in student behavior management within 60 days of the assignment. The Special Education Instructional Assistant II will be provided with the opportunity to participate in online instructional modules for meeting this requirement at no cost to the employee.Clearances:
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Jefferson-Houston IB PreK-8 School Salary Range:
$23,879.42 - $29,362.94 / Instructional Assistant II Shift Type: