DutiesThis is a External announcement - The public may apply to vacancy announcement CBSR-11578770-22-SH
This is an open continuous announcement. August 12, 2022 is the first cut-off for review of candidates. Subsequent reviews will follow as needed.VA Careers - Pharmacy
Participates in the creation of VISN CCC Pharmacy Services standard operating procedures.
- 100% Telework. Receives telephone calls from and responds to veterans, their family members and/or legal representatives regarding a broad range of topics, including: medication refills/renewals, basic billing inquiries, and procedural pharmacy activities.
- Routinely reviews computer medication profiles for therapeutic duplication, prescription non-compliance and allergies/drug reactions. Transfers identified patients to a Pharmacist or supervisor, for further evaluation, if needed.
- Reviews patient medical record and medication profiles to identify situations of poly-pharmacy and/or abnormal laboratory findings. Reports identified patients to the assigned Pharmacist.
- Processes and submits patient requests for new prescription orders and renewals (including controlled substances) into the computer accurately, thoroughly and in a timely manner. Uses approved Pharmacy Service protocols when appropriate to satisfy patient medication requests. When appropriate, handles all refills, return-to-stock, and partial fill patient needs.
- Documents a minimum 90% of all patient contact and call resolution in CRM (and Electronic Health Records CPRS as applicable) to include but is not limited to what was requested, what action was taken and any other information which may be pertinent during future research. Assists in the documentation of medication variances.
- Seeks assistance from designated Pod Leader Technician, a pharmacist or supervisor when responding to unusual questions or when reasonable attempts to satisfy a caller have been unsuccessful.
- Is prompt in answering and dealing with telephone calls, supports the goal of obtaining first call resolution.
- Maintains National Pharmacy Technician Certification.
- Participates in the training of new staff as assigned.
- Completes additional duties as assigned.
Rotating tours of duty on Days, Evenings and Nights including Weekend and Holiday rotations. Daytime rotation hours having greatest need at this time are 9:00am- 5:30pm (EST); and 9:30am-6:00pm (EST). Telework:
100% Teleworking Position Virtual:
This is not a virtual position. Functional Statement #:
91191-A RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.Basic Requirements
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation and meet the criteria).Grade Determinations
(a) Experience. One year experience at the next lower level, and must fully meet the KSAs at the next lower level. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSAs and the potential to acquire the assignment specific KSAs designated by an asterisk (*):
1. Ability to solve problems and make recommendations, e.g., troubleshoot operational problems and refer for appropriate action.
2. Knowledge of the operation and care of automated equipment
3. Knowledge of, and ability to follow, written instructions for compounding with aseptic technique for hazardous materials such as oncology agents.
4. Knowledge, and ability to perform, compounding with aseptic technique for routine sterile products.
5. Knowledge of policies and procedures for inventory management in specialized areas such as emergency carts.
6. Knowledge of the computerized prescription process demonstrated by the ability to input prescriptions and medication orders.
(b) Certification. PTCB certification is required at this grade level and above.Preferred Experience:
1. Demonstrates good customer relation skills when addressing patients, their families and fellow employees. Does not cause problems or antagonize others through rudeness or lack of diplomacy. Personal interactions are free of valid complaints.
2. Performance must show the ability to adjust to changes in workflow and the ability to function as a team member, helping the group effort where possible.
3. Responds to customer inquiries in a helpful and timely fashion. If not able to remedy a situation, the employee is able to direct the opportunity to the appropriate resource.
4. Promotes harmonious relationships within the work environment, which supports the needs of the team and the customersReferences:
Requirements for appointment of a Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacy Service under the provisions of VA Handbook 5005/15, Part II, Appendix G28.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-05. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is GS-06.Physical Requirements:
The employee will be required to sit at a computer monitor for long periods of time in order to complete the duties of
the position. EducationIMPORTANT:
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional information
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. Selected applicants may qualify for credit toward annual leave accrual, based on prior work experience or military service experience. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
Due to COVID-19, VA is currently in an expanded telework posture. If selected, you may be expected to temporarily telework, even if your home is located outside the local commuting area. Once employees are permitted to return to the office, you will be expected to report to the duty station listed on this announcement. Management officials will provide information about returning to the official, pre-pandemic worksite, when applicable. At that time, you may be eligible to request to continue to telework depending upon the terms of your organization's telework policy and the duties of the position.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .