Job AnnouncementThis is a reannouncement. Applicants who wish to revise their original application are encouraged to reapply with a revised application. Otherwise, all applicants who previously applied to job# 22-02043 do not need to reapply to be considered.
Join the Park Authority and our nationally recognized team of professionals! Works as part of the Sully Historic Site in Chantilly Va. and as part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With more than 25,000 acres of parkland, nine RECenters, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level. Is responsible for all aspects of park maintenance including upkeep of grounds, equipment, garden, buildings, and trails. Mowing, weeding, trimming, snow removal. Historic buildings cleaning and small repairs, inspections and systems monitoring, security oversite. Serves as site safety officer, does logistics for all programing on a daily basis and for large special events. Purchases supplies and materials needed for event support. Supervises part time staff and volunteer staff. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Leads, inspects, and reviews the work of a crew engaged in a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and/or construction activities;
- Inspects projects in progress and upon completion;
- Estimates the amount of material to be used on a job;
- Prepares reports;
- Ensures that crew members have been trained in the proper use of equipment;
- Ensures that safety procedures are followed;
- Assists crew members in the operation of various types of trucks and equipment such as flat-bed trucks, utility bucket trucks, snow plows or spreaders, combination vacs, rodders, and extenda-jets;
- Responds to emergency situations including snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies;
- Monitors and reports complaints;
- In absence of the supervisor, performs duties of dispatching crews, preparing work orders, entering on-line time and attendance reports, preparing accident reports, addressing citizen complaints, etc.;
- May assist in preparing safety tailgate topics for crews and presenting safety topics at meetings;
- Inspects and reviews the work of crews engaged in a variety of maintenance and construction activities;
- Oversees and is engaged in the work of assigned crews;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Working knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment commonly used in the maintenance and construction of sanitary sewers, walk ways, roads, lawns, parks, etc.;
- Knowledge of common hazards and safety precautions;
- Working knowledge of safety codes;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and materials pertinent to the construction and maintenance trades;
- Ability to follow and interpret written instructions, diagrams, location maps, blueprints, and manufacturers' manuals;
- Ability to follow and relay oral instructions to labor crew in performance of work orders;
- Ability to organize and make oral presentations of safety topics and field operating guidelines at tailgate meetings;
- Ability to accurately estimate time and material needs, determine when repair is not economically practical, and perform routine clerical tasks and arithmetical computations;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to retrieve, modify, and print computer documents on a computer;
- Ability to lead a crew in the performance of their duties;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, and high levels of dust;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees, and supervisors.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”) Graduation from high school or possession of a GED issued by a state department of education; and two years of experience in maintenance, construction, or a related field.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Driver's License (Required)
- Pesticide Applicators License required within 12 months
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, child protective services registry check, and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience with grounds and buildings maintenance and upkeep including use of tractor, utility vehicle, mowers. Pesticides certificate. Safety oversite experience. Historic Buildings maintenance. Public programming logistics experience. Experience with the public in public settings.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather. Ability to traverse uneven ground and stand for long periods. Ability to lift pull or push 50 lbs. unassisted or 70 lbs. assisted. Ability to operate equipment listed. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.