Fire & Rescue System Chief
The City of Manassas is seeking a Fire & Rescue System Chief! We are seeking a strong leader with administrative proficiencies in communication, relationship management, strategic thinking, outstanding organizational skills and ability to navigate complex situations with diplomacy and tact.
The Chief of the City of Manassas Fire and Rescue System serves as a key staff person, working directly with the City Manager and is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the day to day management and operations of the fire and rescue system. The System Chief also serves as the Emergency Management Coordinator for the City.
The Fire and Rescue System Chief provides administration and general direction for the City Fire and Rescue Department with immediate oversight of the members of the career department. The System Chief develops system wide policies that promote the effective and efficient provision of fire, rescue, and emergency services in the city in a collaborative manner that utilizes the resources of all three components of the system.
Responsibilities include managing and commanding use of apparatus and equipment, the coordination of shifts between career and volunteer crews, coordination with mutual aid jurisdictions, the planning and implementation of training, insurance, incident and accident reporting, and such other administrative or operational details as have any bearing on the operation of the fire and rescue system. The Fire & Rescue Chief will report to the City Manager and serve as a liaison to various committees and organizations, including the Chiefs Advisory Group.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Fire Science/Technology, EMS Administration/Management, Public Administration, or closely related field, supplemented by vocational/technical training in fire suppression and emergency medical care. In addition to the educational requirements, a minimum of five years of experience in fire services at a level equivalent to Battalion Chief (shift commander) in a combination system, (experience as a Chief or Deputy Chief preferred). The successful candidate must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver's license and certification as a Fire Officer III, Fire Instructor III, and EMT-Basic from an accredited training institution and complete training in hazardous materials, operation of emergency vehicles, and operation of pump and aerial equipment. The successful candidate will also need to meet any additional requirements with the Fire and Rescue Systems’ Uniform Rank Structure Policy within a defined time period.
Professional Skills and Management Style
- Clearly understands and tactfully explains the role of the Fire and Rescue Department in complex issues
- Well-versed in use of technology and its current and future importance to the City and its operations
- Critical thinker who provides no surprises to the City Council, City Manager and City staff
- A “hands on” leader; willing to communicate and develop a strong sense of coordination and cooperation with employees, volunteers, and other departments
- Develops and maintains good public relations with the City Council, City Manager, City staff, the City’s elected and appointed officials, as well as our regional partners
- Embraces ideas from outside sources; ability to communicate with various customers, groups and agencies openly
- Highly motivated to provide excellent internal and external customer service
- Good analytical skills; creative; an idea person
- Self-starter, hard working
- Cognizant of role as a public servant and service oriented
- Ability to manage with confidence; courage to do what is right, even in the face of adversity
- Accessible to City Council, City Manager, and City departments as needed
- Is able to plan, direct, and coordinate the work of a highly competent staff
- Creative, visionary; a big picture person related to City issues; able to ‘think outside the box’
- Absolutely honest and ethical; impeccable integrity and the highest degree of moral character
- Able to maintain highly confidential information
- Unbiased in all dealings, regardless of the individual
- Firm, yet tactful
- Emotional intelligence
- Motivated as an individual to get the task complete and improve the organization
- Apolitical, discreet, diplomatic and courteous
- Able to motivate staff to reach higher level of performance through effort and example
- Open and candid; excellent listener
- Team player
- Confident in abilities with good common sense
Compensation and Benefits The salary range for the position is negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package includes participation in the Virginia Retirement System with Enhanced Hazardous Duty coverage, group life insurance, long term disability insurance, health/dental/vision insurance, professional dues and conference expenses, annual leave, sick leave, as well as additional leave hours replenished each fiscal year. Candidate must maintain residency within an acceptable distance as determined by the City Manager to ensure appropriate response time during emergencies. Relocation allowance is negotiable.
Please visit the application website to review the full community and position profile:https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/manassas/jobs/3710579/fire-rescue-system-chief
Initial application reviews will begin September 30, 2022. To be considered, please submit a cover letter, résumé with salary history and five professional references online by visiting the City of Manassas website at www.manassascity.org/jobs.
Following the filing date, résumés will be screened by the City of Manassas based on pre-established criteria. This hiring process will include interviews and reference checks for those candidates who are determined to be best suited for the position. For questions, please contact Darla Hicks, Human Resources Director, email@example.com.