Director, Event Services
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
The Director, Event Services serves as a senior member of the Convention and Meetings team, and supports and implements strategic improvements and operational efficiencies, as well as advocates for best-in-class event experience and design, to benefit the member engagement and event experience objectives of the Association. The position requires expertise in the management of large, citywide events with heavy emphasis on professional education and will serve as a subject matter expert and collaborator on this topic with different sub teams (Exhibits, Program, Communications), and to the Association overall. This position has significant project management responsibilities for short- and long-term initiatives, including supporting the Sr. Director, Convention and Meetings on process assessment and implementation of new initiatives and revenue opportunities. The position serves as an inter-team lead on effective project and process management for events, and champions process enhancement to support the growth of the Convention and Meetings team. The position develops and maintains business relationships for the Convention and Meetings team and manages related business operations, holding responsibility for defining, negotiating, and managing RFPs and contracts with selected event supplier partners and destinations; policy and practice implementation; logistics application; budgeting and cost containment; and customer service.
The individual will be well-versed in event best practices, principles of project and process management, innovative event marketing, equipment and event services management, utilization of technology solutions, to best serve the objectives of an event. Strong industry knowledge of trends, tools and best practices, business acumen, and a stellar reputation for both adaptability and customer service is required. The position will require the understanding of the strategic objectives of the Association, as well as the application of Association policy and procedures, as they relate to our events.
The position will have designated responsibilities spanning from planning to onsite oversight at the Convention, including but not limited to general logistics and preparation of specifications, registration support, partner/sponsor fulfillment, special event needs, and will play a key role in post-meeting billing reconciliation. This position coaches one staff member (Travel Manager) and serves as an adjacent advisor to other logistics team members.
Travel is required throughout the year.
- Support and manage RFPs, including assessment of needs, documenting requirements, identification of sites or potential bidders, selection process, contracting and eventual implementation and coordination with key event service supplier partners. Assess and enhance processes related to implementation and management of this large pool of services and destinations and provide guidance to Convention and Meetings staff on best practices for RFP and vendor management. Develop and update sound and effective contract templates for association meetings, programs and partners to benefit the Association and mitigate risk.
- Monitor and recommend enhancements to systems, processes, tools, policies and customer service standards for meetings and events; bring new ideas and best practices to the Association processes.
- As a senior business event strategist, the incumbent will provide consultation and partner with National Office staff on engagement and growth strategies across association operations and business units that maximize impact and value for members, while improving efficiency, productivity, and cost-effectiveness. Provide event strategy guidance and assistance as requested to national office staff with responsibility for specialized meetings and events such as affiliated state associations, ASHFoundation, Special Interest Groups, NSSLHA—the association’s student organization, and the ASHA PAC. This may include contractual review, help establishing processes, standardized template development, and overall strategy assistance.
- Serve as team champion for project management principles and process enhancements as related to large-scale event planning and management across the whole team. Some special focus on implementing year-over-year special initiatives, to include research on viability, partners, costs, risks, implementation requirements, and evaluation of completed projects.
- Actively work on advance planning and serve various roles on-site at Convention, managing assigned supplier partners, supporting staff, managing some off-site events, and supporting the logistical needs of the Convention. Ensure that customer service standards are met, and that necessary policies and practices are in place, such as for PCI compliance, data management and security, and information systems.
- The position coaches one staff member to sustain effective travel practices and policies, including the logistical arrangements for Boards/Councils/Committees, and serves as adjacent advisor in other logistical areas.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- BA/BS degree in related field
- 7-10+ years related experience
- 3 or more years supervisory experience
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Accomplished industry professional with excellent knowledge and comprehension of event location analysis, logistics and management of events from conception to completion
- Association event planning experience required
- Advanced negotiation and contracting skills; ability to understand and interpret reports to forecast accurately
- Exceptional project and process management skills; ability to use multi-tasking skills to prioritize and oversee multiple events concurrently
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and succinctly for a variety of audiences, and different purposes
- Ability to learn and implement new software applications with relative ease
- Ability to evaluate ROI, cost-effectiveness, and conduct cost analyses
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Dedication to detail and ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- Positive work ethic and excellent customer services skills; ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with colleagues, members and the public
- Commitment to working both independently and as a team player; ability to relate well to others, build relationships, and constructively interact with a variety of employees, volunteers, and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to influence and persuade groups and individuals to understand and consider impact and consequences of decisions; ability to make important decisions and to know when to refer decisions to others
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and communicate clearly with diverse groups of people including members, association leaders, staff, corporate partners, vendors, and other professionals
- Creative thinker with innovative spirit
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts