Does your job impact the universe? The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science and flight operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories, including and the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), launched on Christmas Day 2021. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. Visit our website to learn more about our missions. This position can support hybrid work. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV).
STScI is seeking a Project Engineer to join the Data Management Division (DMD) to technically lead and direct medium to large size software projects related to our missions. We are seeking a Project Engineer with an expert understanding of the engineering process for complex software system development who can lead software project teams in all aspects of the software life cycle: from system architecture to design, coding, testing, integration, release and support.
The DMD receives, processes, calibrates, and distributes data downloaded from multiple space telescopes. In addition, DMD archives science data in the Barbara A. Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST) and provides both science data products and tools for the astronomical community to analyze the data. These products, tools and services are instrumental in making the world’s astronomical information accessible to all while advancing the state-of-art of astronomical data, archives, and tools for scientific discovery.
- You technically and actively lead and direct development for medium to large size software projects through all phases of the project life cycle using traditional and Agile methodologies
- You coordinate, lead, and communicate with a diverse team of systems engineers, scientists, software engineers, testers and with formal verification and validation teams, operations staff and program management
- You handle the capabilities of multiple target subsystems in order to architect cost effective, responsive solutions
- You develop and maintain project management documentation and processes
- You develop system, subsystem, and interface requirements with guidance from team members
- You organize, facilitate, conduct, and support project and software team-led reviews
- As the engineering representative you work with the program management in developing, maintaining and reporting on the overall project schedule and notify the team about project risks and schedule-related problems and work to find solutions
- You provide technical direction and mentoring to less-senior staff
We invite you to apply if you have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or a related scientific or technical field and related work experience. An advanced engineering degree is preferred. A different scientific or technical degree in combination with your relevant work experience may be considered. The position level and salary are commensurate with education and experience. Minimum of 10 years technical and leadership experience.
- Experienced understanding of the engineering process with respect to a complex software system development process with the proven ability to lead technical projects and make technical decisions for that development
- Experience in all aspects of the software life cycle: from system architecture to design, coding, testing, integration, release and support
- Strong communicator both orally and in writing, including presentations, with strong negotiating skills
- Experience with balancing system performance, cost, schedule, risk, and user satisfaction
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in medium to large projects
- Demonstrated ability to implement effective project management processes in traditional, hybrid, and Agile environments
- Experience with running software architecture review boards, code reviews, etc.
- Experience with decomposing large, complex systems into smaller, workable units
- Fluent with requirements specification, implementation and verification as applied to mission software systems
- Familiar with Cloud processing
- Familiar with productivity and configuration management tools
Nice to have: Project Management and/or Agile certifications, such as PMP, PMI-ACP, Certified Product Owner, SAFE Product Owner/Product Manager, etc.
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. Qualification for ITAR clearance is required.
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by September 30, 2022 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Direct link: Project Engineer - #0006139
Explore all career opportunities through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
COVID-19 Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication by strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.