Senior Software Engineer
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science and flight operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. Visit our website to learn more about our missions. This position can support hybrid work. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV).
We are looking for an experienced, energetic, enthusiastic and motivated senior software engineer to join our talented Data Management Division (DMD). The DMD is responsible for the processing, storage, retrieval, and archiving of astronomical data from many missions. (Hubble, James Webb, Roman, and TESS). This position will focus on developing software for the James Webb Space Telescope.
- Design and develop software systems for the processing of astronomical data
- Involved in day-to-day operations, lead in troubleshooting and debugging, fix production issues in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain interfaces between database and data processing systems
- Refine and improve processing algorithms and performance for science programs
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or an equivalent relevant field with 5+ years hands-on work experiences in software engineering and data management, including:
- Proficient in the Python programming language
- Experience working in a Linux-based environment
- Experience with a distributed version control system such as Git
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD)
- Experience with agile software development models
- Ability to communicate effectively across various technical levels and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence in order to meet ITAR requirements.
Desirable but not mandatory:
- Experience with big data technologies and data workflows
- Experience with Relational Databases
- Experience with AWS services including S3, EC2, Lambda, EMR, RDS and other data related cloud services
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by September 29, 2022 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Direct link: Senior Software Engineer- #0005577
Explore all career opportunities through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
COVID-19 Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication by strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.