UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
JAMES CLARK SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES OFFICES
Position No.: 127600
Title: Faculty Specialist
Functional Title: Senior Business Analyst
Category Status: 15-Faculty Non-Tenured, Continuing Con
Unit: AGNR-Administrative Service Office/ENGR-Dashboards & Analytics
Location: College Park, Maryland
The Senior Business Analyst position will be a full-time 12 month position residing in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR) and will be split 50% time AGNR and 50% time A. James Clark School of Engineering (ENGR). Primary reporting of this position will be to the Director of Business Analytics in the Dashboards & Analytics unit. Major responsibilities are listed below with emphasis on the design, development, implementation and maintenance of reports, dashboards and analytic tools to represent various university operational, administrative and academic data to a variety of departmental, divisional and senior leaders.
- Independently perform in-depth analysis and interpretation of complex data and information and present and/or communicate findings in a clear and effective manner using the dashboard tools or other analytical tools as needed;
- Develop and maintain budgetary, research, HR/Diversity, student, financial data and other data, including the use of SQL, creation of fields and tables, and other database development as necessary; reports and dashboards may reflect data on a daily (real-time) monthly, quarterly, annual, multi-year, or ad-hoc basis; serve as the primary contact for such reports and dashboards;
- Train and work collaboratively with others to build alignment and successfully accomplish assigned dashboard projects that lead to organizational improvement, greater efficiency in data presentation, and improved customer service to the two colleges, campus and outside stakeholders including but not limited to related University Foundations;
- Ensure proper configuration management and change controls are implemented to preserve the integrity of the data and the quality of the reporting packages provided to the end user;
- Foster University financial database extraction for dashboard build out, ensuring secured, credentialed delivery to departments/units through various channels including mobile devices;
- Analyze, identify key trends or anomalies and areas of improvement/strength by incorporating complex data, financial information and administrative processes to develop recommendations and enhance state of the art or first to market dashboards/reports.
- Assist with the creation of dashboard presentations for the Assistant Deans and Deans of AGNR and ENGR on an as needed basis;
- Complement and collaborate on campus-led process improvement initiatives by providing data analysis, dashboards, recommendations or other systems capable of meeting goals and objectives; and
- This position is subject to a University of Maryland Background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
Required: Bachelor’s degree required with a preference for a degree in Information Technology. Past experience in a progressively responsible position with demonstrated ability to structure and use database query tools in a financial environment. Specific knowledge in report development, data visualizations software and Microsoft Office software specifically database and spreadsheet applications. Must have strong analytical ability and excellent interpersonal and communication abilities.
Preferred: Information Systems and/or Computer Science or relevant work experience. Data visualization software experience. Experience in dashboard development including: aesthetic design, dashboard storyboarding and intuitiveness of data delivered/displayed.
Physical Demands/Work Environment –
- May require light lifting
- Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Must be able to work independently
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with the Candidate’s qualifications. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. University of Maryland benefits
Applications: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu for position #127600. A complete application packet includes a letter of interest that addresses the requirements described above and the applicant’s motivation to apply, a current resume, unofficial transcripts, and name and contact information of three (3) professional references.
Closing Date: For best consideration apply before September 23, 2022. (Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been identified.)
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply