SUMMARY: Manages and assists in directing the Banquet Department, club activities, and Club staff to ensure effective and profitable operation and growth; ensures that quality service is provided to all clients, guests and members.
The National Press Club is a 114-year-old, world-renowned institution that hosts over 2,000 events per year that include heads of state, politicians, sports figures, entertainers, and champions of business. It contains over 14,000 sq. ft of meeting space.
The National Press Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position includes Health, Dental, Vision, 401k , flex spending account, paid federal holidays, vacation, profit sharing, and life insurance.
Compensation commensurate with experience, annual salary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Shifts to require nights and weekends.
- Establishes and monitors standards for banquet department including but not limited to personnel administration and performance, service to clients and guests, and facility maintenance.
- Establishes and maintains effective management techniques to maximize revenues.
- Works closely with chefs and other appropriate staff to ensure the smooth and healthy operation of the banquet service.
- Monitors staffing levels and minimizes unnecessary overtime.
- Monitors overall condition of facility, public areas, and offices; ensures that deficiencies are rectified.
- Maintains visibility and accessibility to guests, staff, and vendors; maintains effective communication with all staff to ensure banquet events are performing at established standards.
- Ensures that guests’ needs are fulfilled, and their experience is as pleasurable as possible; responds to guests’ feedback, including complaints/problems; reviews compliments/ complaints with banquet staff to continually improve service.
- Possesses and maintains through understanding of industry and stays abreast of industry trends; communicates/incorporates information to assure operation remains current.
- Ensures all food and beverage operations are in compliance with all legislated health and licensing guidelines; ensures adherence to all health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Prepares accurate and timely reports as required.
- Reviews staffing daily to ensure it is adequate to handle the day’s business; calls in additional personnel as needed.
- Assists staff with job functions as needed to ensure optimum service to all guests.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and oversight of subordinates; actively works to promote and recognize performance.
- Keeps up to date on overall activities of the team, identifying problem areas and taking corrective actions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
- Supervises Club staff- servers, bartenders, porters, housekeeping staff and restaurant staff.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the banquet management, restaurant industry, food & beverage, or related professional area
- College degree preferred
- Strong organizational skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Basic competence in duties and tasks of supervised employees.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate subordinates.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook.
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Stand and walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Understand and respond to a diverse population.
- Speak clearly and listen attentively to clients and guests.
- Assist in set up and tear down of events.