Here at Appian, we're passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Senior Software Engineer working on our data backend, you will have the opportunity to build a high availability, distributed persistence technology which is able to autonomously scale based on usage patterns. You will work on solving complex problems around optimal resource utilization for both self-managed and cloud-native SaaS installations. You will employ deep knowledge of data structures, persistence and querying algorithms, functional and vector-oriented programming paradigms and distributed computing.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments. To be successful in this role, you need:
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Working knowledge of database concepts, distributed systems, and cloud infrastructure
- Experience with or interest in learning about database internals, data persistence concepts like WAL and LSM trees, and streaming analytics
- Familiarity with or interest in learning the building blocks of columnar databases, query language design, and functional and vector-oriented programming
- Familiarity with container orchestration services, especially Kubernetes
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- Hybrid and flexible working hours.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Ideally 5+ years of experience in Go, Java, Scala, or Rust
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we're focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co-worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.