Director, Network Services
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
The purpose of this position is to manage all aspects of network infrastructure and administration, including security, performance, and disaster recovery; evaluate and manage installation, testing, and support of systems and integrations; provide leadership and coaching to Network Services team; and coordinate and ensure Association compliance with network and desktop policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ensures availability, performance, security, and support for network applications and infrastructure including server and desktop hardware, operating systems and network applications, VoIP phone system, email system, and remote access to network. Perform license management and user management as needed.
- Performs capacity planning and cost-benefit analyses for network applications and infrastructure.
- Manages all network-related projects ensuring that they are completed on time, that they meet user specifications, and support the priorities established for Information Systems (IS). Ensure that all team members manage projects according to organizational standards.
- Manages the Helpdesk, ensuring coverage, prompt response time, escalation, and assistance with triaging and resolving complex issues.
- Analyze Network Service helpdesk tickets for trends and identify strategies for reduction of tickets and improving organizational efficiencies.
- Ensures that all team members have the necessary and future-focused training and resources to perform their job duties. Provide training and documentation to staff and end-users when necessary. Identify and coordinate opportunities for hands-on training and shadowing to advance team skillsets and promote knowledge sharing.
- Performs technology needs assessments, evaluates new technology, and manages the installations, configurations, and testing of network equipment, software systems, and integrations .
- Research new technologies and make recommendations for systems that could improve infrastructure or security.
- Maintain and coordinate development of network and desktop policies, documentation, procedures, and standards and ensure Association compliance.
- Supports and oversees Information Security Program
- Assists Chief Information Officer with development of IS capital and operating budgets for network expenditures. Monitors budget spending.
- Provide guidance on IT ethical, legal, and compliance issues as needed.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Obtaining a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or other related areas;
- Five to seven years related experience.
- Two to three years supervisory experience.
- Microsoft and/or Cisco certifications.
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
Detailed knowledge of and experience with:
- Microsoft Windows Server and Azure Active Directory, and comprehensive understanding of network hardware and software concepts.
- Cisco Ethernet switching and VLAN technology.
- Network security systems, including firewalls, IPS/IDS, and corporate anti-virus systems.
- Database administration, specifically basic SQL administration
- Backup systems
- Exchange Server email administration
- Cisco VoIP phone system administration
- PCI DSS
- Secure, remote access to network systems.
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Strong managerial and collaboration skills.
- Experience with prioritizing and managing multiple, concurrent projects.
- Experience with managing urgent issues with a level-headed, communicative approach.
- Analytical problem-solving skills.
- High-level of technical competency and ability to contribute to troubleshooting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to write clear and accurate user and technical documentation.