Dewberry is currently seeking a Resilience Planner Intern
to join our Fairfax, VA
office for Summer 2023
. The internship is aimed at training exceptional students to become leaders in the field of resilience planning. Open to remote work.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
The intern will support the Resilience Solutions Group (RSG) with various tasks, such as community outreach and engagement, research, policy analysis, planning, report development, presentations and/or decision-support applications. The individual will engage in the research, planning and development of operational and tactical plans, policies, procedures, and guidance to promote resilience to and mitigation of the full range of natural hazards. Related areas of technical focus for this position include but are not limited to: climate change adaptation, sea-level rise, extreme heat, forecasting, hazard mitigation planning, natural resource management, demographic and economic analysis, research and planning primarily related to Federal agencies (FEMA/FIMA, USGS, NOAA, EPA, and US F&WS), state agencies, and local communities.
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Planning, Environmental Science, Policy, Communications, or other related field .
- Effective writing and science communication skills for target audiences.
- Ability to be self-motivated and function in a team environment.
- Aligns with Dewberry core values: Honesty, Passion, Contribution, Individualism, Perseverance.
- Knowledge and ability to use the following computer applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other similar tools is required.
- Knowledge and ability to use the following computer applications: Tableau, Power BI, ArcMAP/ArcPro, ArcGIS Online, Adobe InDesign, and other data processing, visualization, and design tools is a plus.
- Interest in issues related to transportation, environmental sustainability, equitable development, and social vulnerability.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.