Business Operations Manager
7 days left
- Full Time
The University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine has an exciting opportunity for a seasoned professional to serve as the Business Operations Manager for an established and productive research division, which also serves as the administrative home of the Center for Research on Aging and the Doctoral Program in Gerontology.
UMB offers a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes wellness, work/life balance, and professional development. Exempt regular staff receive a generous leave package that includes over 4 weeks of vacation accrued each year, paid holidays, unlimited accrual of sick time, and comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development programs; tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any University System of Maryland school; and flexible work schedules and teleworking options (if applicable per job).
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
This position is responsible for managing the financial and operational integrity of the division and requires an individual who is a self-starter, resourceful, and can anticipate “next steps.” The successful candidate will be able to accomplish this, in part, by having exceptional accounting and budgeting skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and being able to plan, organize, prioritize, and execute complicated and continuing assignments without instruction and minimal supervision. In this fast-paced, team environment, the manager will:
- Ensure that projects/budgets comply with all appropriate payroll, reimbursement, accounting and personnel policies and practices. Conduct a wide range of budget, financial and/or fiscal analyses and make recommendations. Assist with communications to internal and external sponsors.
- Prepare and distribute accurate and timely month-end, quarterly and year-end close out reports and financial information which may include projections of budget vs. actual; submit financial reports and documentation to sponsors as required.
- Manage large-scale budgets that are individually funded but inter-related and managed as a single program of research. Manage five-year working budgets, developing and updating projections as needed to reflect changes in scope of work. Implement budgetary changes in a timely manner.
- Develop, monitor, analyze, forecast, and report annual budgets, payroll charges; approve effort reports for certification; make recommendations and bring financial/other concerns to director/administrator’s attention.
- Ensure that expenses are appropriately charged to grant, encumbrances are and that accounts are thoroughly reviewed, taking corrective action as needed.
- Analyze monthly P-card reconciliations for compliance; initiate and/or approve requisitions, POs/Non-POs, and other financial transactions; manage commitment accounting and ensure proper allocation of salaries.
- Develop and execute internal policies; recommend amendments to existing unit policies, including shared expenses, field staff reimbursement, meal reimbursement/food. Audit projects for compliance with gift card procedure.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of division operations including space utilization, general maintenance, etc., working with division head/department administrator to address and resolve issues. Work with campus facilities on renovations and space upgrades. Total approximate space: ~5,000 sq.ft., which includes space for faculty, staff, students, classroom/conference.
- Ensure that all administrative needs are being addressed and properly managed; liaise with project coordinators, lab staff, and faculty; work with others to track salary coverage for faculty and staff, bringing shortfalls to division head/PI/department administrator’s attention; track and make recommendations for staff sharing opportunities known to faculty.
- Provide new employee orientation; liaise with human resources on PI’s behalf on staffing and recruitment activities; prepare, coordinate, and route all personnel requests; verify eligibility to work on federal grants (when needed) against federal registry; ensure administrative matters are managed in a timely and effective manner.
- Prepare budgets, draft budget justifications in consultation with PI and project coordinators.
- Assemble biographical sketch and other relevant administrative documents required for grant applications, reviewing and ensuring it follows policy guidelines. Work in conjunction with department research administrator to ensure all needed documents for applications are available and that all submission requirements are met.
- Direct supervisory responsibility of one exempt employee; dotted-line supervision of other research staff.
- Provide administrative oversight and guidance to staff and faculty on a host of HR/ELR issues.
- Partner with faculty and senior staff to resolve challenges and manage change. Recommend skill and career training and provide mentoring/coaching as appropriate.
- Handle complaints, resolve conflict and participate in the PDP and grievance process.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, finance, marketing, accounting, human resources, or other related field. Master's preferred.
Experience: Five (5) years of business related experience to position required, with at least two (2) years’ experience in at least two of the following: human resources and payroll, finance, facility operations, or research administration.
Supervisory Experience: Two (2) years of direct management responsibilities that involves personnel recruitment, training, and professional development related to position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Respect and Integrity, Well-being and Sustainability, Equity and Justice, and Innovation and Discovery.
Eligibility for this position is limited to individuals with: 1) experience managing large federal grants such as P30, U54, T32, and other comparable research programs (required); 2) advanced knowledge of a variety of software programs (eg., Excel, Access, Kuali, eUMB, eRA Commons, PeopleSoft (Quantum Analytics, Financials), HRMS) and other standard desktop software); 3) knowledge of best practices in research administration and experience managing an office; 4) demonstrated ability to compose grammatically correct correspondence and edit research grants, reports and other materials for grammar and consistency (writing samples will be requested); and 5) strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to function in a team and collaborative environment with staff, faculty, students, and an extended network of professionals.
- Outstanding organizational, problem solving, negotiation, and critical thinking skills are required to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Comfort in interacting with all types of faculty, scientists, staff, and guests with confidence, creativity and maturity. Project optimism and a sense of calmness during times of uncertainty.
- Ability to exercise initiative and resourcefulness necessary to prioritize multiple ongoing and new projects and produce in a fast-paced academic environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team while maintaining a lead role, as well as the ability to work cooperatively with others; demonstrate professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others.
This position has direct reporting to the division director and dotted-line reporting to the department administrator. Both will participate in the PDP process.
This position is eligible for up to two days telework.
Hiring Range: $83,000 - $90,000; commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Apply for Business Operations Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly