Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat is seeking a Biostatistician to support statistical analyses on various types of research projects involving genomics, metabolomics, clinical, epidemiological and administrative (EHR, claims) datasets. You will collaborate and consult with external investigators and internal project team members on your work designing and executing analyses. You will provide biostatistical support including designing analytic plans and performing data analysis for Westat projects and contribute to scientific peer reviewed publications. You will present analytic results to collaborators and assist them with data access, analysis, and interpretation of results. You will be responsible for building code and algorithms that can be shared internally to answer defined research questions, ensuring that results are scientifically robust and that study methods are well documented.
This will be a remote role.
• Collaborate with external investigators in developing study aims and research hypotheses.
• Provide study design advice to investigators including assessment of appropriateness and feasibility.
• Develop statistical considerations and analysis methods for study protocols.
• Develop statistical analysis plans for research projects including guiding the data management team in terms of database design, selection of statistical methods, creation of project timelines, and development of formats for presenting results.
• Participate in all phases of analytical programming, development of data pipelines, data management, macros, quality control and reporting of research data.
• Conduct statistical analysis for omics, clinical, epidemiological, and evaluation projects including implementation and refinement of statistical methods, preparation of formatted tables of results and other outputs, verification of the accuracy of results, and assumption of primary responsibility for the analysis and presentation of project data.
• Contribute to efforts in researching, recommending, and implementing methods to validate, troubleshoot, and interpret results.
• Participate in quality control and quality assurance processes and review code output, tables, and charts.
• Present analytical results orally and in writing to internal and external audiences, incorporating descriptions of methods, relevant literature, and other background material to provide context for the results.
• Serve as a data resource for research project teams and interact directly with clients and external investigators.
• Two (2) years of advanced quantitative statistical analysis using R and SAS.
• Candidates with a Master's degree must be currently enrolled in a Doctoral program and plan to complete their degree by September 30, 2022.
• Ability to assess existing tools and identify novel tools and approaches for analyses.
• Expert ability to identify and resolve analytic issues using knowledge, background, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Ability to express complex statistical concepts and technical information clearly to audiences with and without formal statistical training.
Your demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships, work collaboratively as part of a research team, and be a self-starter is key. You will use your critical thinking, writing, and communication skills to support your projects and clients.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.