Expressions of interest are sought for a part-time, casual position as Commissary Manager with the in-house Diplomatic Commissary, at the Embassy of Australia, Washington DC. The hours are approximately 15 hours per week with additional ad-hoc hours as needed to meet demand.
This position is responsible for managing all aspects of a Diplomatic Commissary, including ordering, receiving bulk inventory, coordinating large event orders, deliveries, accounting for and maintaining inventory of Australian alcohol and non-alcohol products, retail and event sales, researching, sourcing and procuring new products, accounts payable and receivable management, government compliance such as monthly financials and bank account reconciliation, and Commissary Committee secretariat functions. The Commissary Manager will need to be a good communicator, motivated, highly organized, will have initiative and able to exercise sound judgement. There will be the opportunity for a high level of autonomy and accountability. Prior inventory purchasing, stock control and use of accounting systems for sales and bank reconciliation experience is highly desirable.
Suitably experienced applicants are invited to submit a statement outlining relevant experience and capabilities relevant to this job description to a maximum of one-page (insert hyperlink). The successful applicant will be required to commence ASAP.
Title Commissary Manager
Hourly Rate US$35.00 per hour
Working hours Negotiable
About the Commissary
The Commissary serves the internal Australian diplomatic community providing Australian supplies for personal and representational use for Embassy personnel in accordance with US Department of State regulations and Australian Government guidelines.
About the Position
The incumbent will work independently and be responsible for a broad range of duties, ensuring the smooth operations of the Commissary. Duties include the overall oversight, financial and inventory management including use of Quickbooks, ordering and physical receiving of the delivery of products, sales and new product management, as well as Secretariat duties (preparing Governance documents and minutes/meetings) to interface with the Embassy Commissary Committee. The position requires the safe lifting of up to approximately 35 lbs and a current Driver’s License.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Manage sales, purchasing, ordering, deliveries and inventory for the Commissary.
• Process all accounts receivable and accounts payable including checking and paying invoices, reconciling purchases and sales, and reconciling the batch close out deposits in the bank account.
• Research and source new wines and other beverages, and new lines of Australian products, to expand the Commissary’s product range.
• Negotiate and prepare purchase orders, coordinate delivery and maintain supplies to achieve best value for money and meet ongoing as well as event-based demands.
• Satisfy and maintain compliance, including lodgment of any required documentation, with relevant US State Departmentregulations, e.g. Tax free purchase procedures,
• Keep accurate records and produce financial statements and reports at the end of each reporting period, in line with Australian Government requirements.
• Effectively represent the Commissary and develop positive working relationships with internal and externalstakeholdersto ensure positive customer outcomes and the good reputation of the Commissary and Australian Embassy.
• Provide sound advice, recommendations and guidance on matters relating to the Commissary to Embassy management.
• Prepare correspondence and documentation including audit materials for review and discussion by the Embassy Commissary Committee.
• Manage the Commissary’s information management and electronic record-keeping requirements.
• Demonstrated ability in inventory and stores management including ordering, receiving and movement as well as related documentation, financial management and controls.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and manage relationships with key clients and stakeholders, including senior management and major providers.
• Well-developed oral, interpersonal and written communication skills, including effectiveness in facilitation, negotiation, liaison, and presentation skills.
• The ability to interpret and effectively apply policy and guidance.
• Good knowledge of accounting software, Office-based software, and technology systems.
• Demonstrated ability to apply excellentjudgment and discretion to solve problems effectively in a client service environment.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Experience in a similar role with retail, small business and/or government environment.
• Knowledge of Australian wine, beer , spirits and popular iconic Australian brands.
Apply at: https://dfatcareers.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.checkJobDetailsNewApplication&returnToEvent=jobs.listJobs&jobid=D292BD7A-BB85-4FF0-8F98-AED8002E9D1A&CurATC=LES&CurBID=62AFB35D%2D9273%2D4A11%2D8DCC%2D9DB401354197&JobListID=627D852B%2DF280%2DD142%2D54E2%2DA4312CB119D6&jobsListKey=764cd6ba%2D6aef%2D4bf6%2D9719%2Df5f2f58345c4&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,JobListID,jobsListKey,JobID&lid=03585550072&rmuh=99F7551AAF398D30AF8EB25A3AB080D59F5A59C0