Senior Research Associate, Surveys & Analysis
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
As the Senior Research Associate for the Surveys and Analysis Team, you will embark on a wide array of data-driven adventures in making technical information available and easily understandable to a wide variety of audiences, and designing and conducting surveys, evaluations, focus groups, and statistical analyses to guide staff and volunteer committees in meaningful decision-making activities.
Every day, you will:
- work with passionate, creative, and appreciative staff and members to apply your expertise in technical writing, survey design, and analysis.
- challenge yourself to find new ways to engage our members in the Association’s data collection activities.
- work with an exceptional team, each with their own areas of expertise – and add to it!
To thrive in this role, you need to:
- have top-notch technical writing and survey and evaluation research skills.
- work with an array of professionals at all levels of statistical aptitude.
- reinforce our end goal of protecting the quality, integrity, and proper application of our data.
The purpose of this position is to make technical information (i.e., survey and evaluation data from internal and external sources) available and easily understandable to the Association membership, volunteer leadership, staff, and external audiences. This is accomplished through developing and writing user-friendly technical documents, reports, or other printed and online materials. The incumbent also conducts Association survey and evaluation projects and focus group research and manages content on the ASHA Website and Intranet.
Make technical information (i.e., survey and evaluation data from internal and external sources) available and easily understandable to the Association membership, volunteer leadership, staff, and external audiences through developing and writing user-friendly technical documents, reports, or other printed and online materials. Information to be presented includes highlights and interpretation of data on member demographics, caseload/workload, compensation, practice issues, the workforce, trends, and related issues.
Prepare reports, publications, and other documents to communicate technical information more easily.
- Oversee Association survey and evaluation projects, including instrument design, fielding, statistical analysis, and reporting on and/or presenting results.
- Engage in focus group research for the volunteer leadership and staff, including development of moderator’s guide, conduct of focus groups, and reporting on and/or presenting results.
- Serve as Web Liaison for the Surveys and Analysis team. Update and create content on the ASHA Website and the team’s Intranet sites.
- Provide technical assistance to National Office staff, constituents, committees, boards, and councils, consumers, researchers, and other organizations pertaining to the Association’s data resources.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, English, data analytics, communication sciences and disorders, the social sciences, or a related discipline
- Three or more years of experience in a similar position
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Understanding of how best to present technical information across all user abilities and all media
- Ability to create and blend text, data tables, charts, and graphics together to produce integrated technical products
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards in interpreting and conveying technical information
- Demonstrated intermediate-level skills with word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred)
- Demonstrated competency with online survey tools (SurveyMonkey preferred) for creating and sending surveys and analyzing data
- Demonstrated intermediate-level skills with statistical software platforms (SPSS preferred)
- Demonstrated competency with video conferencing platforms (Zoom preferred) for conducting meetings and virtual focus groups
- Demonstrated competency using a content management system to effectively maintain and create Website content
- Demonstrated competency with SharePoint for maintaining Surveys and Analysis Intranet sites
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e., ability to express ideas and convey information clearly and logically)
- Integrity to manage confidential information
- Ability to independently manage ongoing and emergent projects, either on an individual basis or as a leader of or participant on cross-office teams
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and complicated detail work in an organized fashion in the face of changing priorities
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team and individually
- Ability to self-direct, and set and meet deadlines
- Willingness to continually learn about new subject matter