Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat has an immediate opening for a qualified individual to join a dynamic program in public health-related social marketing and health communication. We are seeking a highly experienced, award-winning professional with expertise in project management, strategic communications, public health partnerships, staff supervision, and business development. Experience in a range of public health topics, including HIV and other infectious and chronic diseases, is highly preferred.
In this role you will use your understanding of social determinants of health, culturally sensitive communication strategies, and health equity to support our clients in developing messages and implementing strategies to reach populations with higher rates of disease.
- Direct project staff and collaborate with clients and external partners in the development and implementation of strategic communication and partner engagement plans.
- Conduct research, identify, and engage partners (medical professional societies, patient advocacy organizations, and industry) to support public health campaigns and health education marketing initiatives.
- Direct the development of accurate, compelling, audience-appropriate content for health marketing materials on chronic disease, reproductive health, infectious disease, immunization, and other public health topics.
- Support partner engagement activities, including development of training and the provision of technical assistance to partners.
- Supervise and mentor staff with expertise in health communications, public health partnerships, event management, and multimedia design.
- Provide leadership in maintaining client relationships and troubleshooting project-related issues.
- Lead and participate in business development activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, public health, or related field.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience as a project manager providing communications, social media, media outreach, partnership engagement, and training and technical assistance support for public health/healthcare agencies.
- Understanding of best practices in communications planning, partnership engagement, social marketing, and event management and have demonstrated ability to lead the execution of these tasks.
- Experience managing sizable projects or tasks and experience in serving as client contact.
- Experience leading and contributing to business development efforts.
- Master's degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, public health, or related field.
- Communications agency experience.
- Experience in multicultural marketing and communications.
- Familiarity with public health, health disparities, and/or health equity.
- Experience supporting federal public health clients.
- Proven ability to consistently make sound judgments and effectively motivate and manage project teams.
- Experience engaging key populations such as LGBTQIA+, Latinx, African American, Youth, lower income, or people with less access to care.
- Experience developing and managing project budgets.
- Excellent organization and management skills.
- Outstanding communication skills.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.