The Elementary Gifted and Advanced Academic Services Instructional Specialist will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the elementary gifted services and the Young Scholars model. In addition, the specialist will work in unison with the Director of Gifted and Advanced Academics to assist with the administration of TAG programs for screening, referral, identification, and placement of elementary students in TAG services or Young Scholars. The person will provide regular, school-based instructional support and professional learning to ensure alignment of written and taught curriculum at the elementary level. In addition, the person will work closely with the central office instructional staff, other school personnel, parents, and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established district-wide objectives and goals in support of the ACPS Strategic Plan and the Local Plan for the Gifted.
This job reports to the Director of Gifted and Advanced Academic Services Qualifications Education:
Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred. Certificates & Licenses:
Valid Virginia Department of Education postgraduate professional teaching license required, or the ability to obtain one, including an endorsement in gifted education or the ability to obtain one. Experience:
Five years of elementary teaching experience and gifted experience. Essential Functions
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position).
- Works in unison with the Director of Gifted and Advanced Academic Services to administer or assist with the administration of special TAG programs for screening, referral, identification, and placement of TAG students in cooperation with the school, student services, and administrative personnel to ensure equitable practices and policies.
- Implements procedures and processes to identify gifted and talented students at the K-5 level and the Young Scholars model in Grades K-8.
- Provides regular and effective communication to internal and external stakeholders through the TAG website, newsletters, and division-wide communication outlets.
- Fosters a communication, understanding, and public awareness of school division services to students receiving TAG and Young Scholars services while dismantling systemic racism within these academic areas.
- Responds to inquiries from various sources (e.g., other teachers, parents, administrators, etc.) to resolve issues, and provide information and/or direction.
- Provides regular, school-based instructional support and professional learning to ensure alignment of written and taught curriculum at the elementary level.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents, and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established district-wide objectives and goals in support of the ACPS Strategic Plan. Including, disseminating information regarding current developments and teaching practices in the field that affords equity and diversity within gifted and advanced academics.
- Assists teachers in the improvement of instructional delivery and performance. Supports teachers and gifted teachers to assist them in implementing established curricula and/or individual student plans.
- Assists the Director of Gifted and Advanced Academics Services with secure data analysis focusing on TAG student- enrollment and distribution of students within the school division in adherence to ACPS policies, including disproportionality and underrepresented student groups and other selected information on TAG students.
- Participates in various meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions.
- May perform other additional duties or tasks as designated by the supervisor.
Public Health Compliance:
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical willl be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Central Office Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: