The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), the labor union and professional association of the United States Foreign Service, seeks a full-time Executive Assistant at its Washington, D.C. headquarters located at 2101 E St NW, Washington DC 20037. Limited telework during the week is allowed and the incumbent must reside in the D.C. metro region (DC, VA, MD). Applications will be accepted through Friday, September 2, 2022.
The salary range for this position is $50,000-75,000, depending on experience. As a full-time employee, benefits include but are not limited to Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and a 401(k)-retirement account.
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), created in 1924, is the professional association for the U.S. Foreign Service. AFSA’s 16,800 members include active and retired Foreign Service officers and specialists primarily at the Department of State as well as at the U.S. Agency for International Development, the Foreign Agricultural Service, the Foreign Commercial Service, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, and the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
AFSA is also a labor union, serving as the exclusive representative of members of the Foreign Service. AFSA negotiates with the management of the principal U.S. Government foreign affairs agencies on personnel policies and practices affecting members’ working conditions, and represents members in formal grievance proceedings, office of security and inspector general investigations, disciplinary proceedings, and EEO cases.
The Position and Its Principal Responsibilities AFSA is seeking highly organized and motivated individual to provide high-level administrative support to the elected AFSA President and the executive director, as well as performing routine administrative functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. Essential functions include:
- Manage all aspects of the President's schedule and travel. Writing minutes of meetings. Managing primary communication between AFSA staff and the governing board. Advising the President on alternative solutions to problems that will arise. Manage the flow of all information coming from external contacts to the President. Compile the monthly President's report to the Governing Board and Board Agenda. Assist the President as needed with drafting a monthly Foreign Service Journal column. Conduct regular 1-1 check-ins with the President to review action items and next day prep. Assist with timekeeping of the President's direct reports. Prepare the Governing Board and Executive Committee agendas and meeting minutes and get approval from the Minutes Approval Committee. Plan Governing Board and Executive Committee meetings, including ordering food and setup. Keep the President appraised of internal AFSA opportunities, issues, and updates. Manage the executive office’s $250,000 budget. Oversee biennial board term report.
- Associates degree or higher. Minimum of 2 years relevant work experience Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Strong interest or experience in foreign affairs.
- A high degree of professionalism is required. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Critical thinking. Creativity in resolving problems. Ability to navigate bureaucracies to overcome obstacles. Ability to interact professionally with external partners.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk working on a computer. Will occasionally need to move heavy equipment and furniture. Primary work location will be AFSA HQ located at 2101 E St NW, Washington DC 20037. Due to COVID-19 and AFSA’s hard re-opening on March 1, 2022, the incumbent is required to have proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination for employment and building entry due to frequent interaction with the AFSA Governing Board, staff, guests, and members. AFSA offers telework opportunities (locally in the D.C. metro area that includes Maryland and Virginia) but the nature of this position may limit such opportunities to some degree.
Please email a detailed cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified in this position and your resume, along with a brief writing sample.