As a Budget Analyst (Transportation) GS-0560-12/13, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Assists in interpreting and assessing the impact of new and revised Congressional legislation, conducting appropriation analysis, historical appropriation reviews, and fiscal year comparative research on the formulation and execution of budgets at the national organizational and programmatic level.
- Assists in developing and rendering authoritative interpretations of executive orders, OMB guidelines and directives, and policies and precedents within and across agency lines that establish budgetary and financial planning focus areas and link organizational performance in accordance with Administration and Secretarial priorities (e.g. Advancing Educational Equity for Native Americans and Tribal Colleges and Universities, and Strengthening Tribal Communities).
- Assists in developing new methods and techniques of budgeting for the forecasting of long range funding needs (e.g., 3 to 5 years or more into the future) which involve national programs and complex projection factors for educational institutions serving elementary and secondary student populations, grade expansion requirements, and Department of Education funding metrics.
- Analyze national level BIE programs that operate in 23 States, serve 183 schools, support 35 Tribal Colleges and Universities, and perform exceptionally large and complex programs (e.g., (Transportation).
- Project and analyze the potential effects of budgetary actions on program viability and attainment of program objectives to include examining budget scenario impacts on Tribal priorities, hiring plans, and organizational strategic direction and goals.
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YR TRIAL OR 1 YR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
- SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR MALES BORN AFTER 12/31/1959
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards . For this position, they are listed below.BASIC REQUIREMENT: GS-0560-12, Budget Analyst:
A. One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-0560-11 grade level (or equivalent in other pay systems) Or
B. Earned a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; or have successfully completed three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or have obtained an LL.M. that is related to the position being filled. Or
C. Have a combination of graduate level education (as defined in B above) and specialized experience (as defined in A above) when combined together meets 100% of the total requirements for the position. To compute, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education beyond one year by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100% to qualify.In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement, you must also meet the Specialized Experience requirements below.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-0560-12, Budget Analyst:
At least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in performing budget duties requiring review and analysis; assisting with reviewing submitted budgets for adherence to required formats, policy and instructions; analyzing polices, assessing related performance budget metrics; participating and assisting with annual review of a multi-year budget.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-0560-13, Budget Analyst:
At least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in performing the full range of budget administration duties requiring complex review and analysis; reviewing submitted budgets for adherence to required formats, policy and instructions; collecting, coordinating, analyzing, and disseminating budgetary, statistic, logical and demographic data; analyzing policies, assessing related performance budget metrics; participating and carrying out annual review of a multi-year budget.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.Time-In-Grade Requirements:
Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year (52 weeks) of service at the next lower grade level. Education
This position does not have a positive education requirement at this grade level. Therefore, no transcripts are required.EDUCATION:
be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply and MUST include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking, degree and date awarded. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html Additional informationCareer Transition Assistance Programs
: CTAP/ICTAP provides placement assistance to permanent Federal employees who are surplus, displaced, or involuntarily separated. Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with their application. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, applicants must be well-qualified (i.e., meet the minimum qualification requirements, including any selective placement factors; education, and experience requirements), score at least 85 on the assessment questionnaire, and be able to perform the duties of the position upon entry. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service .
The Bureau of Indian Education has determined that the duties of this position are suitable scheduled, situational and for emergency telework.STATUS CANDIDATES:
Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants (Status or Reinstatement eligibles) in the absence of a qualified Indian Preference eligible. Applicants not entitled to Indian or Veteran's Preference must be Federal civilian employees with competitive status or former Federal civilian employees with reinstatement eligibility and must submit latest Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50B, as proof.VETERANS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ACT (VEOA):
Preference eligibles may apply for permanent positions (career or career-conditional appointments) under merit promotion procedures for VEOA appointments; however, veteran's preference is not a factor in these appointments. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be a preference eligible OR veteran separated after 3 or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Applicants must submit a copy of their DD-214 (Member Copy 4) for verification of eligibility. For more information about this program and to determine whether you are eligible, click here.