RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will review work order requirements reflecting systems, parts, and assemblies to be repaired, modified or installed.
- You will troubleshoot HVAC/R systems with complex problems and extensive repairs requiring judgement to locate malfunctions.
- You will test refrigeration, air conditioning, ventilation, and related control systems and equipment.
- You will perform essential electrical work incidental to the maintenance and operation of HVAC/R systems.
- You will visit worksites and analyze, evaluate, and determine damage when planning repair and modification projects.
- You will utilize specialized test equipment to troubleshoot associated auxiliary and pollution control equipment, such as water treatment systems, chemical dispensers, electrostatic precipitators, bag houses, and wet particulate scrubbers.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per the preliminary nationwide injunction on E.O. 14043, COVID-19 vaccinations will not be implemented or enforced. For more information on vaccine status and workplace safety protocol requirements see Additional Information below.
- You will be required to possess and maintain a current valid United States driver?s license.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- This is a Mission Essential position. You will be required to ensure organization or facility continuity of operations and/or completion of tasks that are considered essential to the mission designated by a local or command decision.
- You will be required possess and maintain at all times a CFC/NCFC certification (universal) as required by 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F., EPA.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is: I have the ability to perform common tasks including checking oil and refrigerant levels, piping, fittings, air filters, operation of fans, and control of air movement. I work under close supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements EducationAdditional informationCOVID VACCINATION INFORMATION:
To comply with the recent preliminary nationwide injunction on Executive Order 14043, Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees, the Department of the Navy is not taking any action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. New hires will need to provide their vaccination status as well as comply with workplace safety protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
This job opportunity announcement has a first cut-off 50 applicants. Once the first 50 applicants received the announcement will automatically close.
This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under the specific hiring authority addressed in the Summary section of this announcement. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.
If you are unable to apply online and request information about the Alternate Application process, please contact the Department of Navy's Employment Information Center.