Here at Appian, we're passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Building the cloud infrastructure for the leading low-code platform requires agile, reliable, highly secure, highly scalable, and highly available systems. As a Senior Software Engineer, your mission will be to make that goal possible. At Appian Cloud, you will make a substantial impact on the growth of our cloud platform working within and across agile teams to architect, design, develop and deploy features to expand, scale and secure our Appian as Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering.
We're committed to pushing cutting edge trends in cloud infrastructure development in order to create the best possible experience for our customers. This position requires the mental agility to drive success in our extremely fast development cycle, where it's common to write code and have it go live on our platform minutes later. We continuously push code to production developed in small autonomous teams, teams that build software to orchestrate our cloud platform, and enhance our offering with features that extend our PaaS capabilities for our customers around the world.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments. To be successful in this role, you will:
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Architect, design and develop software to secure, scale and control the life cycle of the infrastructure that runs Appian as PaaS using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Drive to impact by engaging with early adopter customers to ensure the successful rollout of your features and automation for our PaaS offering.
- Perform feature adoption & performance analysis to enable the success of our cloud platform.
- Drive innovation by coming up with new and exciting ideas to creatively solve complex problems at scale, while looking for opportunities to improve the design, interface, and architecture of Appian Cloud.
- Define and implement secure networking solutions between on-premise data centers and commercial clouds.
- Actively participate in code reviews and retrospectives to improve our quality and agility.
- Empower multiple departments to be self sufficient at using our PaaS building self-service solutions.
- Partner with our product engineering team and other departments to build applications of enterprise scale, including but not limited to data analytics, content delivery, observability systems, infrastructure as code, etc.
- We value innovation and investment in our people by providing opportunities for growth and leadership. Whether it's through Engineering IndieTime (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want), or annual hackathons, we value activities that inspire others and get creative juices flowing.
- Appian has a large engineering team where you are made to feel autonomous by our engineering business group model. Working within an agile team allows our engineers and leaders to have a sense of community and accomplishment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar.
- Programming experience with public clouds such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform)
- Familiarity with networking and information security in cloud (e.g. VPN, compliance, etc.)
- Experience with at least one linux scripting language (e.g. bash/shell, perl, etc.)
- Experience with RDBMS database technology (e.g. MySQL, Oracle or Amazon RDS, SQL Server, etc.)
- Familiarity with web server platforms (e.g. Apache, Microsoft IIS, Nginx, etc.)
- Excellent spoken and written communication with both technical and non-technical people.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we're focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co-worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.