Are you looking for an exciting position within Engineering? The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority has a Senior Electrical Engineer position with Traction Power experience that you may be interested in. The ideal candidate will be expected to possess experience in electrical engineering designs, specification development, and witness testing per approved test procedures. This includes various traction power equipment like medium and low voltage AC Switchgears, DC Switchgears/Switchboards, electro-mechanical and micro-processor based multi-protection relays, Rectifiers, Rectifier Transformers, negative switchboards, UPS system, Batteries, AC/DC cables, and others. The role may require up to 50% field work throughout various locations in the DC
, MD and VA area to WMATA's facilities to witness installation and field testing of electrical equipment for acceptance. This position may also require traveling to manufacturer's facilities throughout the US to witness equipment factory testing. Witnessing of testing may occur in evenings and night work with little notice. Among other tasks, the candidate will be responsible for the review of WMATA design criteria, design directive and standard drawings, developing Preventive Maintenance Instructions from equipment maintenance instructions, and consultant's/contractor's electrical designs. This includes conducting field surveys and assessing existing power systems to support new design and installation efforts. In addition, the ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of NFPA 70, 70B, 130; applicable ANSI/IEEE, ANSI/NETA ATS and MTS standards. Minimum Qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field. Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in electrical engineering, especially in design and related functions, to include task management experience, which is preferred.
Or, an equivalent combination of post high school education and a minimum of eleven (11) years of progressively responsible experience in electrical engineering, especially in design and related functions, to include task management experience, which is preferred. License/Certificate:
Registration or the ability to acquire registration as a Professional Engineer in one of the signatory jurisdictions of the WMATA compact, i.e., the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia is preferred. Medical Group
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodations. Summary:
This is responsible professional electrical engineering work of a complex nature. This position serves as the electrical systems design manager and is responsible for overseeing the review and coordination of all electrical designs, plans and specifications required for the Authority's rapid rail and bus transit system. Incumbent has extensive latitude for independent judgment and action within guidelines. Incumbent's performance will be evaluated based upon effective completion of duties.Major Duties:
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Works with Authority electrical engineers, technicians and consultants. In coordination with the General Engineering Consultation electrical staff, develops electrical engineering design criteria, plans and specifications as guidance for stage and section designers.
- Reviews engineering criteria, directive and standard drawings, and specifications related to electrical systems.
- Reviews drawings, specifications and computations developed by Section Designers for electrical systems equipment such as switchgear, electrical panels, power control components, motors, pumps, fans, escalators, cables, cathodic protection and heating devices.
- Initiates and manages design projects for traction power equipment installations in support of the WMATA rail system.
- Reviews recommendations for tests and control procedures for prime electrical equipment.
- Acts as primary point of contact within the Authority for matters pertaining to electrical systems.
- Prepares and presents accurate engineering reports on electrical facilities and electrical systems on time.
- Represent the organization on matters pertaining to electrical systems and equipment for Metrorail and Metrobus services.
- Prepares electrical design drawings and specifications for miscellaneous WMATA facilities relating to rail, administrative and bus operations.
- Coordinates the development of electrical service agreements with the utility companies for the provision of electrical service for new rail operations and for updating existing systems.
- Initiates and manages new Electric Service Connection contracts with the utility companies.
- Performs duties related to WMATA lighting designs.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law. This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview