The Deputy Director of Administrative Operations is responsible for business operations, administration, and strategy for Virginia’s largest publicly funded behavioral health and developmental disability agency with a budget of approximately $200 million. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director of Administrative Operations provides leadership of day-to-day non-clinical operations. Working closely with CSB Executive leadership this individual will spearhead the implementation of best practice behavioral healthcare administration functions and duties. They will develop close linkages with healthcare insurance companies and managed care organizations and strengthen the CSB’s ability to operate in a managed care environment. Maximizes functionality and efficiency of all aspects of healthcare business operations, ensures efficient operations between clinical and business services at the CSB, and works closely with Fairfax County's Department of Management and Budget (DMB) and the state Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS). The Deputy Director of Administrative Operations ensures efficient and effective use of local and state resources and plans for future business operations and service delivery needs. The Deputy Director of Administrative Operations will:
- Oversee, plan, and direct the overall business/administrative operations of the agency.
- Develops and strengthens best management practices at the CSB.
- Manage facilitation and implementation of the agency's strategic plans and initiatives in cooperation with various stakeholders, particularly with the 16-member agency Board.
- Assist the Executive Director with development of policies, procedures, processes and best practices in support of strategic planning and resource development.
- Work closely with managed care organizations, CSB clinical leadership, and the revenue cycle team to maximize insurance reimbursement.
- Strengthen the CSB's ability to bill insurance for services and works with Medicaid to pursue new revenue opportunities.
- Serve as the CSB's liaison with community groups, other county departments, and state and other health and human services organization as appropriate.
- Oversee and ensure that effective health care compliance procedures, processes, and risk mitigation measures are instituted in conjunction with the agency's Compliance Officer.
- Develop policy and planning for key administrative functions such as information technology, budget, finance and billing, procurement, contracts and grants management, human resources, business process improvement and administrative support services, facilities, safety and disaster planning, and administrative coordination and support across all departments and business lines of the agency.
- Develop lean business practices throughout the agency and ensures existing and new business practices are appropriately documented and maintained in a central location.
For more detailed information about the County and agency, please to click here
to read our brochure and watch our video "CSB Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Providing Care
." Illustrative Duties
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ensures that programs and business operations comply with Federal, State and County laws and regulations, accreditation standards, and insurance requirements;
- Ensures development and implementation of public-private partnerships to meet the needs of residents for mental health, intellectual/developmental disability, and alcohol and drug services, and oversees contractual services;
- Ensures the integration of intake, service delivery, and information systems development while working with the Health, Housing and Human Service Agencies,
- Collaborates with the Executive Director and the Senior Leadership Team, to include the County Department of Management and Budget, in the development of the agency's budget and contributes vital data and expertise regarding critical needs, funding strategies and opportunities;
- Works with the CSBHR Director to examine and anticipate workforce needs and develop detailed plans and strategies, utilizing the county's workforce planning process in concert with County DHR and the Department of Management and Budget;
- Responsible for implementation and refinement of the performance management system for CSB staff and oversight of recruitment and retention of a qualified workforce;
- Evaluates the effectiveness, efficiency, and customer satisfaction with service delivery system.
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Extensive knowledge of public administrative principles, management methods and practices to include governmental budgeting, human resources, financial management, grants and contracts, and health care and business operations;
- Ability to implement and strengthen best management practices;
- Knowledge of strategic planning and lean project management principles;
- Ability to implement and monitor complex project management actions.
- Ability to discuss complex technical and administrative issues, develop feasible alternatives and explain options to the Board, staff and the general public;
- Ability to direct and coordinate the activities of a large organization with many diverse functions and programs;
- Knowledge of best practices in healthcare business operations related to insurance, informatics, and billing practices.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in public health, business administration, or public healthcare administration; plus seven years of increasing responsible managerial, administrative and operational experience in the oversight and/or development of health care policy, administration of health services or integrated local government operations, including at least two years of significant responsibility for one or more of the following: human resources, business office or practice management administration, or finance and budget administration.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a Child Protective Services Registry, credit check, and sanction screening to the satisfaction of the employer. A TB screening upon hire and annually thereafter. National Provider Identifier.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date
. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in an executive leadership role overseeing business operations, strategic planning, informatics, human resources, finance and budget administration, and health care compliance.
- Experience working with managed care organizations.
- Knowledge and experience leading a business operations team in a behavioral or primary healthcare setting.
Ability to attend meetings at various locations and make presentations to county staff and community; communicate clearly, both orally and in writing; and use keyboard driven equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include written exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.