This positions is located at the Early Head Start Gum Springs Glen Center in Alexandria VA. Ensures developmentally appropriate practices and curriculum are implemented and creating a play-based learning environment to meet children's individual needs. Works under the supervision of the Day Care Center Teacher II and Early Head Start Education Site Manager.
Adheres to all policy and procedures regulated by Virginia State Licensing and the Head Start Federal Standards to prevent health hazards and ensures the safety of children. Completes and reports on developmental screenings/ assessments through family conferences, home visits, and staff meetings. Assists in the preparation of documentation for local agency, state licensing, and federal Head Start Performance Standards, as well as collaborates with county staff, citizens, and members of the child care community.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.LOCATION:
This position is located at Gum Springs Glen Early Head Start, 7839 Richmond Highway, Alexandria VA 22306.Illustrative Duties
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Plans, coordinates and presents a program of appropriate experiences for older school-age children or children with special needs;
- Develops systems to safeguard the health and safety of the children;
- Plans and prepares nutritious daily snacks;
- Develops room arrangements to facilitate a variety of experiences to meet the needs and interests of the children;
- Plans activities to involve parents in the center's program;
- Participates in orientation, staff development sessions and teacher meetings;
- Writes newsletter articles and prepares a calendar of activities involving a particular group of children;
- Determines supply and equipment needs for their program.
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Knowledge of individual behavior and the growth and development of children and youth, and the impact of group relationships;
- Knowledge of how cultural patterns, socioeconomic differences and/or physically and mentally handicapping conditions affect the behavior of children;
- Knowledge of health, safety and first aid methods, and the ability to assume administrative responsibility for assigned areas of a health and safety program;
- Knowledge of the factors which cause problems in children;
- Ability to establish warm and supportive relationships with children, on a group and individual basis.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Completion of two years of study and training at an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in early childhood or elementary education, nursing, recreation, or a related field plus one year of related work experience.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and Child Protective Services Registry check to the satisfaction of the employer. A TB screening upon hire. Additional Work Schedule Requirements: For special assignments/deadlines, alternate/flex schedule or comp time may be an option.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date
. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to the weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Child Development Associate (CDA) certification in Infant/Toddler or higher in the field of Early Childhood or any discipline that is directly related to the instruction of children.
- Experience with and knowledge of Head Start Standards and Creative Curriculum/TS Gold.
- Three or more years’ experience in a classroom setting.
In conjunction with maintaining the room set-up, must be able to move quickly in order to respond to unsafe situations and have enough strength to separate children engaged in an altercation. Must be able to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, sit, kneel, crouch, reach, crawl, handle materials with manual dexterity, and type on a keyboard. Must be able to lift from 20 to 35 pounds. Must be able to move quickly to respond to unsafe situations. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel Interview and may include a practical exercise.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.