Windows Systems Senior Engineer
IT Senior Engineer, Windows Systems Senior Engineer
Position #: 106405
The Division of IT (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park has an immediate need for a Desktop Engineer to become a member of our Platform Engineering group. The specific emphasis of the role includes the development and design of Windows OS Systems in the enterprise leveraging automation tools while ensuring the integrity & security of the Windows Server environment. This is a highly technical role and requires solid competence in all aspects of software and cloud infrastructure. This includes the creation of technical design documentation and integration plans. The Platform/Infrastructure Engineer will be part of an enterprise-wide Platform Engineering group and will work actively as a member of the technical team developing technical solutions. The candidate will be expected to implement and manage enterprise solutions for specific business needs that provide frameworks, interfaces, and services that can be extended and reused for future requirements. We are seeking an engineer that enjoys problem-solving while working in a team environment and that has a diverse technical background from a variety of technical fields.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience
- Minimum of 5 years as a system administrator working with Windows server operating systems in a large, enterprise, Active Directory environment
- Experience deploying, integrating, configuring, and securing Microsoft Windows servers in standalone environments and as hybrid environments (on-prem and in the cloud)
- Experience automating processes using the following programming\scripting languages: Windows PowerShell, Python, and shell scripting
- Experience performing systems planning and development of new features in the Windows server operating system and the ability to deploy new applications and services
- Experience managing production infrastructure with configuration management systems with InTune, MECM SCOM
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation and presentation skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities
- Must assist, guide, and share information with technical and non-technical personnel
- Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment
- Experience architecting, deploying, and maintaining infrastructure using AWS or Azure cloud services
- Experience with Virtual Desktop Infrastructures (VDI) such as Azure Virtual Desktops (AVD)
- Experience with Docker or other container services
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate, Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert, or AWS Solutions Architect – Associate
- Managing relational database services such as Microsoft SQL
- Understanding of a higher education environment
Additional information: This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Salary range: $120,000 – $140,000.
- Medical, [uhr.umd.edu] dental [uhr.umd.edu], and vision [uhr.umd.edu]coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission [uhr.umd.edu] for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package [uhr.umd.edu] to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits [uhr.umd.edu] created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more… [uhr.umd.edu]
Physical demands: Predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods may be spent in computer rooms for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of server equipment.
Best consideration date: 08/23/2022 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/98364
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.