Patent Prosecution Specialist
Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Patent Prosecution Specialist in the Washington, DC office. The Patent Prosecution Specialist will assist patent prosecution attorneys, Patent Agents, Patent Law Clerks and other IP legal personnel with the administrative and clerical work in support of the IP Prosecution (Patent) practice.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing formal documents, USPTO electronic filings, electronic docket clearances and client communications.
- Maintaining the daily docket for IP attorneys, Patent Agents, Patent Law Clerks and other IP legal personnel.
- Coordinating the workflow for attorneys on a regular basis.
- Editing client prebills as directed by the attorney; processing all client billing in accordance with the firm’s policies and procedures, with assistance from the Billing Department.
- Setting up new client matters, completing client label requests, and requesting on-site and off-site client files, with assistance from the firm’s Records and Client Intake Departments.
- Assisting in research and physical location of legal materials in law library publications and on-line sites pertinent to pending cases.
- Inputting, editing and finalizing attorney time into the firm’s time entry system.
- Routing articles to attorneys and other firm personnel.
- Managing Outlook calendars and assisting attorneys meet their deadlines.
- Coordinating meetings; including, reserving a conference room; ordering meals; arranging for any IT equipment needed (i.e. laptop, projector, audio/video equipment); sending Outlook meeting requests; etc.
- Scheduling appointments, answering the telephone in a courteous and professional manner, updating attorneys’ contact lists, providing transcription/dictation services, composing/preparing/editing/proofreading routine correspondence, organizing and routing incoming mail, processing vendor invoices, and preparing expense vouchers in accordance with the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Filing correspondence and legal documents in the office filing system.
- Ensuring proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of previous relevant IP experience.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite, electronic intellectual property resources, the USPTO website, and IP docketing systems such as Inprotech. Familiarity with SAEGIS and Coresearch is a plus.
- Prior experience acting as a liaison between attorneys and clients.
- Comprehensive knowledge of U.S. patent prosecution filings.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and excellent oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on accuracy and proofreading.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race (inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support StaffStephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.