Awards Program Manager - AAA
The American Association for Anatomy (AAA) seeks an experienced Awards Program Manager for their portfolio of scientific awards, prizes, and related honors.
The American Association for Anatomy is the professional home for an international community of biomedical researchers and educators focusing on the structural foundation of health and disease. Our mission is advancing anatomical science through research, education, and professional development. AAA is firmly committed to welcoming, developing and maintaining scientists and educators in a culture that embraces individuals with diverse life experiences. This includes engaging and nurturing a broad representation of individuals who value science and education, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, mental or physical ability, age, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
Primary Function: Manage the society’s portfolio of awards, including overseeing the full lifecycle of the awards from management of applications/nominations to the review process, award notifications, and payments. Ensure alignment of the Society’s awards with its mission and vision, applying a particular emphasis on diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage AAA’s awards portfolio, including but not limited to the Fellows Grant Award Program, Innovations Program, Anatomy Scholars Program, Anatomy Training Program and any new additional awards/programs approved by the board.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Anatomy Scholars Program (ASP); opening the applications, working with marketing to promote, assisting with development of the curriculum, scheduling meetings; the ASP is focused on supporting and increasing retention of underrepresented minorities in STEM in academia in the US and Canada
- Set up and manage AAA’s awards application portal; serve as main point of contact for vendor (Open Water)
- Manage the call for applications and coordinate the promotion of the awards with AAA’s marketing and communications team; work with committees and other stakeholders to identify and encourage diverse nominations
- Communicate with applicants throughout the application and award process, including handling queries from potential applicants and communicating with winners to collect necessary materials
- Ensure that awards criteria are applied consistently and confirm applicants' eligibility
- Facilitate application review, including soliciting reviewers as appropriate and serving as liaison to all award committees (scheduling and booking meetings, keeping minutes, report preparation, management of committee composition) In collaboration with the marketing and communications department; promote upcoming awards; oversee the award winner announcements; write and proof bios of winners; update AAA website as appropriate
- Serve as staff liaison for external vendors related to awards (plaque, medals, etc.)
- Assist with budget oversight for the awards
- Facilitate review of requests for the establishment of new awards
- Maintain demographic data on award applicants and recipients; track trends related to AAA’s strategic goals, and those related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Communicate with AAA Board of Directors and other leaders regarding awards data and outcomes
- Service as the primary staff liaison to 1-2 committees; identify and document procedures, guidelines, and timelines for award processes and communicate such to relevant committee chairs, committee members, and staff
- Manage winner honoraria, travel reimbursements, and other prizes
- Work collaboratively with staff and member volunteers to ensure overall strategy for the awards portfolio is effectively achieved
- Annual Meeting responsibilities include but are not limited to, managing the awards ceremony, work with marketing to create signage, assist with awardee abstract submission and registration, greeting award winners attending meeting; etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience using association management systems (AMS) such as iMIS Cloud, highly desired. Must have strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, organization skills, attention to detail, and proof-reading skills Must have the ability to problem-solve, think creatively and strategically, meet deadlines, budgets, and prioritize multiple tasks and projects Must have the ability to interact professionally and collaboratively on a team Must have ability to work effectively with volunteer members and staff to accomplish strategic objectives, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness Must be flexible and highly adaptable to take on new or changing priorities Must be adept at working with volunteers, especially volunteer committees Proficient with MS Office suite, and other computer skills Some travel is required
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience working in program or awards management, preferably in an association or nonprofit organization Bachelor’s degree required
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending account; life and short- and long-term disability insurance and free parking.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and near the Metro and on major bus lines. AAA currently operates on a flexible work schedule with options for telework; some in-office time is required.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
Individuals with Disabilities:
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact FASEB’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about AAA, please visit www.anatomy.org
AAA is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
AAA has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all employees.