Human Resources Specialist
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Title: Human Resources Specialist
Functional Title: Human Resources Specialist
Category Status: Exempt, Staff, Full-time Regular Position
Unit: AGNR-Human Resources Management & Compliance Programs
Position Number: 103317
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR) seeks a Human Resources Specialist to manage the day-to day Human Resources function of AGNR and to directly support the Director of Human Resources Management and Compliance Programs (HRMCP). HRMCP is a unit within the AGNR Administrative Services office and resides under the administration of the Office of the Dean of AGNR supporting Academic Departments, University of Maryland Extension (UME) and the Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station (MAES) missions of the college. The HR functions supports HR activities for approximately 1,000 faculty, staff, graduate assistants, and undergraduate students employed throughout AGNR. As the College entrusted with effectuation of the state’s Land-Grant mission, AGNR employees are geographically dispersed within the state of Maryland in all 23 counties and the city of Baltimore.
- Manages all day-to-day HR functions to include but not limited to hiring; searches (including serving as equity administrator as needed); reclassification, compensation, and position reviews; disability accommodations; family and medical leave act requests; telework requests; and HR policies and procedures development. Manages the College’s recruitment effort including working with the College Equity Administrators, HRMCP Program Management Specialist, and AGNR unit heads. Provides expertise in faculty and staff recruitment and provides statistical analysis of recruitment and advertising efforts. Provides HR expertise at the College level for HR position transactions including reclassifications, salary administration, compensation analysis, and position evaluations. Provides support to the HRMCP Director and coordinates with the Assistant Director of Compliance and Diversity Officer on HR, equity, diversity, and civil rights matters. Works directly and coordinates with the Assistant Director of Payroll on HR matters. Serve as College point of contact for implementation of University level HR systems including but not limited to HRCM Workday and provide internal training for HR modules such as Workday. Responsible for HR data including migration accuracy on related dashboards and provide reports as needed. Coordinates College level employees’ onboarding activities, facilitates campus level onboarding activities, and works with AGNR unit heads to support onboarding at the unit level. Represents AGNR at campus level HR meetings and AGNR business managers’ meeting and work directly with UHR regarding University level updates and HR training. Coordinates University Human Resources (UHR) University of Maryland Background checks and Criminal History Record Checks (CJIS) in a joint fashion working with the Program Management Specialist (HRMCP) and AGNR units. Provides HR support for United States Department of Agriculture civil rights reviews or inquiries. Supports the Director to administer federal benefits for UME faculty with federal appointments and responds to inquiries from UME retirees with federal appointments.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, management, higher education administration, or other related disciplines from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of five years of direct experience in Human Resources.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive knowledge of Excel (i.e., Pivot Tables, Vlookups, Formula/Function usage, etc.)
- Project management, detail oriented with an ability to work independently and in teams.
- Extensive analytical capability in interpreting large data sets, dashboards, etc.
- Experience with HR support of an academic unit. Master’s degree in human resources, business administration, management, higher education administration, or other related disciplines from an accredited institution. Working knowledge of local, state, and federal agencies and groups involved in college related issues. Experience in large-scale HR implementations requiring change management. A demonstrated ability to navigate sensitive, complex and confidential issues and arbitrate successful outcomes. A demonstrated commitment to exceptional customer service. Understanding of HR, EEO, and diversity. Experience using HR systems such as Workday and eTerp. PHR/SPHR and or SHRM-CP/ SHRM SCP a plus.
This is a full-time, on-campus position located at the University of Maryland College Park, Maryland. Telework must be in accordance with AGNR and UMD policies. Compliance with the UMD Telework Agreement is required.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience: The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. For more information regarding employee benefits visit: https://uhr.umd.edu/benefits/
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. A complete application packet includes a letter of application, a current (signed) resume or Curriculum Vitae, copies of transcripts (official transcripts will be required if offered the position), and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: Open until filled. For best consideration please apply by August 29, 2022.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.