Finance Manager for Grants Administration
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. Visit our website to learn more about our missions. This position can support hybrid work. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV).
Are you an experienced professional with a background in finance and research administration? If so, we are looking for a Financial Manager and hope you might consider joining our Grants Administration team at STScI. Our team administers the HST and JWST grant programs that fund the groundbreaking research and discoveries using the Hubble and James Webb space telescopes, the most powerful space-based telescopes ever invented.
The Financial Manager supervises the Grants Administration Finance Team and is responsible for the planning, oversight and execution of all work related to:
- Contract and grant financial forecasting, variance analysis and reporting.
- Analyzing program and grant data.
- Developing analytics aimed at identifying trends in grant financial performance and payment trends.
- Planning and executing Financial Review Committee meetings.
- Providing support to the NASA customer and recipient institutions.
You will apply your prior skills, experience and understanding of federal contracts, grant policies, and regulations, including the Uniform Guidance (2CFR200) to:
- Manage all Finance Team pre-award activities.
- Report financial information for all grant programs (HST, JWST, NHFP)
- Monitor actual expenditures and future awards and funding requirements against current contract value (CV) and funding (NOA).
- Work with STScI and NASA Contract Officers to ensure CV and NOA is received in advance of need to avoid interruptions and delays to research efforts.
- Manage notifications for new, modified or withdrawn programs, and update the Space Telescope Grants Management System (STGMS).
- Provide support to STScI’s Accounting department to assure recipient payments and refunds are processed in a timely manner.
We are searching for a highly motivated leader who thrives in a team environment and takes personal ownership and pride in the accomplishments of the team. You should possess the following skills and attributes.
- Prior experience leading a team of financial analysts.
- Experience with grants administration working in a sponsor organization is preferred. We will also consider prior experience in research administration at a recipient institution.
- Self-motivated, team oriented, customer focused leader capable of executing multiple projects at once.
- A commitment to customer service with an emphasis on finding solutions and adding value for our recipients and customers.
- Attention to detail and the ability to communicate clearly.
- Organize, plan and execute projects and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt in a dynamic work environment.
- Facilitate harmonious working relationships with co-workers, scientists, external institutions, and government agencies.
- Be respectful, courteous, collaborative and maintain a positive outlook.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for using software tools with a strong proficiency with MS Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or other related curriculum and certification in Grants Administration is desired. Substitution of relevant education or experience for the stated qualifications will be considered.
- Position does require US Citizenship or Permanent Residency Status.
This is a full-time position which requires a 40-hour work week during standard work hours. Additional hours are occasionally required which may include working evenings to complete special assignments or to provide support to recipients in Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones. Occasional travel may also be required.
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by September 5, 2022 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Explore all career opportunities through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
COVID-19 Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication by strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.