Position Title: Building Assistant
Supervisor: Facilities and Services Coordinator/Assistant Director of Facilities
Grade: 48, Non-exempt, union
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week, 7:00am-3:30pm M-F and the ability to work alternating weekends as assigned
Building Assistant performs a variety of duties which include custodial, housekeeping cleaning; event set-up, service, breakdown, and clean-up; and other related duties as assigned. This is a full-time (40 hours/week) and an essential employee position. The schedule requires weekend and from time to time after hours work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs daily cleaning tasks in assigned areas. These include trash and recycling disposal, floor care, offices, bathrooms, kitchens, and other common areas cleaning.
- Performs all aspects of housekeeping in the residential accommodations, such as changing bed linens, towels, and washing all linens; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; vacuuming; dusting rooms, etc.
- Reports required maintenance items to supervisor or through our work order system
- Damp-mop, dry mop, vacuums, or buff floors as directed.
- Performs heavy cleaning as necessary in assigned areas or as directed by supervisor; may include washing windows, floor stripping, wax, and carpet cleaning.
- Cleans and stocks restrooms.
- Sets up and replaces furniture for symposia, colloquia, concerts, lectures, receptions, etc.
- Assist with distribution of mail. Will assist with furniture relocation.
- Escort contractors such as pest control or others.
- Stock, clean and maintain coffee stations in the break rooms.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Conversational English-speaking skills and intermediate English reading level.
- Experience in custodial, housekeeping work, in hospitality industry, cleaning and catering services within a museum, library or historic setting is highly preferred.
- Valid driver’s license is highly preferred.
- Flexible schedule and ability to work weekends.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
Must be able to perform the physical duties of the position, including but not limited to:
Ability to move heavy furniture; work outside when needed, stand for up to 3 consecutive hours during service work at events or when it is necessary kneel, bend, stoop, climb, push, pull, climb a ladder, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Consistent with the new federal guidance, all Harvard employees must be fully vaccinated. Individuals may submit a request for exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exemptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging:
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).