AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live as they age. With a nationwide presence and nearly 38 million members, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what matters most to families: health security, financial stability and personal fulfillment. AARP also produces the nation's largest circulation publications: AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
AARP's Integrated Communications and Marketing (ICM) Group includes Membership, Content and Editorial, Customer Experience, External Relations, Brand Strategy and Strategic Communications. Across paid, earned, shared and owned channels, ICM manages AARP's reputation, drives engagement and member growth, and showcases AARP's mission and value through one, integrated voice.
Reporting to the Brand Operations Director, the Financial Operations Manager
is responsible for financial planning and reporting, budget management, and media and vendor operations for the Brand Strategy & Services department. In addition, this position is responsible for enterprise-wide fiscal management of the Brand Center of Excellence (BCOE), which oversees paid media strategy and processing for the organization. This role requires working with management in Brand and across the enterprise to formulate annual budgets, coordinate quarterly forecasts, manage monthly close process, and analyze variances. This role also provides ongoing operational services including contract management and procure-to-pay processes for Brand and media vendors. Responsibilities
- Develops annual budget and quarterly forecasts for the Brand department and the BCOE, which centralizes paid media planning and reporting for the enterprise.
- Manages Brand and BCOE monthly accruals, reconciliations, financial reporting and analysis; serves as subject matter expert and representative to financial leadership in monthly financial performance meetings.
- Facilitates contract execution for national media buying and creative production agencies of record, Brand, Events and Social vendors; manages operational relationships to monitor contractual obligations, and define, document and enforce agency reporting and audit requirements.
- Oversees Brand and BCOE requisitioning, purchasing and invoicing, working with Procurement and Accounting teams to streamline operations and efficiently process high volume of transactions.
- Develops budget tools, models, and custom reports to provide real-time visibility into financial data, monitor trends, and enable effective forecast-based decision making.
- Facilitates the execution of media sponsorship and advertising agreements, collaborating with legal team to define optimal contract terms and mitigate risk.
- Provides operational guidance and consultation, including defining and documenting guidelines, reporting and measurement, and process optimization.
Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA)
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related discipline and 5+ years of experience in financial planning, financial reporting, operational support and business process improvement.
- Proven ability to quickly understand and interpret financial issues, accurately analyze information, identify key trends, prepare concise summaries, and provide sound recommendations related to financial operations.
- Experience working with media buying agencies and knowledge of media scheduling and billing a plus.
- Demonstrate an understanding of prioritization and management of multiple organizational projects. Ability to work autonomously and exercise independent judgment.
- Possess very strong client service orientation and account management skills. Also strong analytical, project management, critical thinking and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills (e.g. listening, negotiating, facilitating, managing conflict, flexibility, etc.). Strong ability to work collaboratively with a variety of personalities and work styles, and demonstrated diplomatic, networking and delegation skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internal processing/tracking systems including PeopleSoft Navigator and Hyperion Planning. This position requires significant time working in spreadsheets and with data/numbers therefore ability to adjust focus is important.
- Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively. Ability to influence all levels of management and work in a matrix environment with numerous stakeholders.
- This is an open-space office environment and the ability to work effectively surrounded by moderate noise is required.
AARP observes Mondays and Fridays as telecommuting workdays, except for essential functions. Remote work and telecommuting can only be done within the United States and its territories. Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others. Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.