IT Senior Wireless Network Engineer
IT Senior Wireless Network Engineer
Position #: 106463
The Senior Wireless Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and functionality of the University of Maryland’s wireless local area networks (WLANs) and associated wireless services.
The position is responsible for full life-cycle service planning which includes developing plans for service strategy, service design, service transition, service operations and continual service improvement. As a result, this engineer is expected to work effectively with stakeholders to gather and refine requirements while at the same staying current with industry trends and vendor capabilities. This position requires strong analysis and planning skills and will develop both high-level service roadmaps as well as detailed implementation plans. Implementation plans include, but are not limited to, service improvements and upgrades (both client facing and administrative), equipment upgrades/replacements, and general design, security, and architecture improvements. This position requires an understanding of network security and may require the development, deployment or integration of network security services.
The Senior Wireless Network Engineer will oversee the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all WLAN hardware, software, and communication links. This individual shall analyze and resolve WLAN hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user training where required.
The engineer should be able to work both independently and as part of a team. Project management skills are essential. This engineer is expected to be the project manager/lead on a portion of the department’s wireless projects. This includes meeting with the stakeholders, gathering requirements, pulling in resources within the team and outside to coordinate their efforts, create and present designs, oversee the implementation of the project and handoff support to the Operations Organization.
Documentation and presentation skills are a critical component of this position. Design documents will contain diagrams, purpose statements, stakeholder requirements, test plans, required personnel and hardware resources, cost estimates and schedules. Presentation skills are required to present designs, market solutions to stakeholders, and to provide training to operations staff to medium sized groups (<50). Presentations may involve public speaking, utilization of current technology tools such as video clips and social networks and/or written communications.
Other duties include managing network resources such as wireless maps, and assisting in the management of the wireless network management system and other related support systems.
This position requires the mentoring of junior personnel within the Division of IT. This can involve a considerable amount of effort and time. This involves training, shadowing, guiding, and reviewing of work. It may also involve the engineer’s time to assist in the duties of the junior that he/she is mentoring to ensure the work/troubleshooting is being performed properly.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
At least 7 years experience in WLAN network engineering in a large scale, mission critical environment.
Associates degree and 9 years experience.
HS Diploma/GED and 11 years experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven experience and success with enterprise-level WLAN engineering, design, and implementation.
- Technical knowledge of, and experience working with Cisco and/or Aruba wireless hardware.
- Demonstrated understanding of radio frequencies, TCP/IP, IEEE 802.11 protocols, and electromagnetic interference.
- Success with site surveys and site design for the purpose of creating efficient and effective WLAN signal overlap.
- Experience in WLAN packet analysis, signal optimization, Power over Ethernet, and general wireless connectivity.
- Solid understanding of wireless vulnerabilities, WLAN-specific security threats, and software weaknesses, as well as mitigation strategies.
- Solid understanding of WLAN switching and routing techniques for Ethernet networks.
- Proven experience with WLAN capacity planning.
- Technical knowledge and a good understanding of DNS, DHCP, IPAM and NTP.
- Technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as: TCP/IP, NAT, 802.1x, SIP, PIM, RADIUS, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, OSPF, and BGP.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related field preferred
Network related certifications such as CCNA, CWAP, CWSP, CWNA and CCNP are desirable.
Experience in a higher education environment is preferred, but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Identify problems in the enterprise network infrastructure and propose solutions.
- Design, implement and support distribution network and network security services.
- Integrate disparate systems.
- Identify functions that can be improved by process development and implementation.
- Prepare purchase requisitions, and SOWs with executive summaries and backup documentation.
- Strong, hands-on technical knowledge and experience of network with various operating systems, including Windows, UNIX (Linux/FreeBSD).
- Analytic skills and ability to contribute new thoughts and participate in collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
- Creativity, originality, and ingenuity in the many technical and human situations encountered in professional service.
Additional information: This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
- Medical, [uhr.umd.edu] dental [uhr.umd.edu], and vision [uhr.umd.edu]coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission [uhr.umd.edu] for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package [uhr.umd.edu] to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits [uhr.umd.edu] created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- Additional benefits [uhr.umd.edu]
Salary range: $120,000 – $130,000.
Physical demands: Predominantly operates in an office environment though periods of time could be spent in computer room and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 10%) requires moving and lifting of heavy communications equipment.
Best consideration date: 08/22/2022 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/97899
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.