The Washington Post Personalization team is looking for a software engineer who is excited to create forward-thinking solutions for the next generation of journalism. Our team is at the heart of the Post's machine learning strategies to build intelligent and adaptable personalized news experiences and business solutions capable of powering the most high-scale websites in the world.Motivation
- You value world-class journalism and are eager to immerse yourself in features and projects that support that mission.
- You are a technically savvy critical thinker who enjoys problem-solving.
- You receive feedback enthusiastically and thrive in a collaborative environment.
- You are a born self-starter with an earnest work ethic.
- You are eager to evolve and grow your personal skill-set by learning and sharing knowledge about new software languages, tools and applications.
- Collaborate with cross-functional agile teams of data scientists, machine learning engineers, software engineers, and others in building machine learning infrastructure that best supports the ML needs.
- Leverage your experience to drive best practices in software development.
- Design and implement data pipelines.
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders across departments to extract, transform, and standardize data to prepare for ingest into target sources.
- Participate in ongoing evolution, improvement, and automation of products and solutions.
- Apply agile and software engineering principles to gather business requirements and translate to functional/technical specifications.
- Document technical work and ensure quality throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Prepare and present work products to various stakeholders, including executives.
: Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field.
- 1 year+ professional software development experience.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithm design.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the complete software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience communicating with users and other technical teams to collect requirements and describe software product features and technical designs.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
- 1 year+ experience with AWS.
- Experience creating and maintaining APIs and shared web services is highly desirable.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual project launch.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow