IT Database Administrator, Oracle DBA
- University of Maryland
- College Park, Maryland
- Jul 20, 2022
- Aug 24, 2022
- IT, Database Administrator
- Technology and Software
- Full Time
IT Database Administrator, Oracle DBA
Position #: 106503
The Oracle Database Administrator (DBA) is a member of the Database Administration unit of the Enterprise Data Services (EDS) in the Division of Information Technology (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park. The position has responsibility for providing comprehensive database management and administration for operational and project support of enterprise level cross-campus services for the University of Maryland. The position involves managing Oracle database systems primarily.
- Configure and administer databases in Standard Editions of Oracle databases in AWS Oracle RDS.
- Manage Oracle databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain databases and processes in AWS Oracle RDS, including monitoring of database health, database performance, availability, deployment, security and database SQL tuning.
- Guide Customers with SQL Queries and PL/SQL for the Application requirements which includes writing of SQl and PL/SQLscripts
- Analyze SQL and recommend best practice for SQL code deployment in production environments for database optimization which includes rewriting SQL.
- Provide technical expertise in areas related to the AWS cloud Oracle RDS services (PaaS, IaaS), monitoring, analysis, performance tuning, security, backup/ recovery and application tools.
- Automate backup procedures and refresh between database environments in PL/SQL for the Databases in AWS Oracle RDS.
- Active interaction with the Infrastructure team to ensure successful implementation and migration of projects to AWS.
- Implement the appropriate security controls, processes, and best practices to ensure compliance with State and University System audit requirements.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end and prompt customer service.
- Independently analyze, refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Provide 24×7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related major.
- 7 plus years of Oracle Database Administration and Maintenance of Enterprise-level computing Database Systems.
- Experience in Writing SQL and PL/SQL scripts.
- Experience with AWS Oracle RDS in Standard Editions
- Experience with Backups, Restores and Recovery models including PITR in AWS Oracle RDS.
- Experience in Datapump and Sqlloader in AWS RDS
- Experience in AWS RDS migration of databases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Oracle or AWS certification.
- Technical expertise in SQL tuning and Database Tuning, Analyze database performance reports and Recommend best practice for SQL code deployment in production environments for database optimization.
- Strong, working knowledge of relational database technology, client/server computing techniques and solutions, distributed systems management concepts, networking and security.
- Must be self-motivated, highly responsible, and service-oriented. Must be efficient, focused, and be able to work independently as well in a team.
- Must possess and exercise strong problem-solving skills. Must work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust rapidly to occasional significant changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively in emergencies
- Experience in Mysql is a plus
- Experience with Postgres is a plus
Additional information: This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Salary range: $95,000 – $109,000.
Additional information: Benefits Included:
- Medical, [uhr.umd.edu] dental [uhr.umd.edu], and vision [uhr.umd.edu]coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission [uhr.umd.edu] for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package [uhr.umd.edu] to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits [uhr.umd.edu] created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more… [uhr.umd.edu]
Physical demands: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
Best consideration date: 08/09/2022 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/97750
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.