The Washington Post seeks an organized, energetic and detail-oriented Communications Coordinator to join its Public Relations team. This team of publicists and communications coordinators drives external promotion of The Post's brand at a time of rapid growth for the company. The PR team works with reporters and editors across the newsroom to extend the reach of Post reporting through broadcast and digital earned media and serves as a strategic partner with business stakeholders to promote company initiatives to key audiences. As the Communications Coordinator, you will provide critical support for the team which includes facilitating on-air interview opportunities for Post journalists, creating and updating pitch lists, and compiling coverage reports, among other duties. You are able to collaborate in a team environment, discern priorities and meet deadlines, anticipate project needs and take initiative.
The schedule will be Monday-Friday 1-9:30pm ET, and this will be both an in-person and remote role, with the later evening hours worked from home.
The position is based in Washington, D.C.MOTIVATION
- You have a passion for news media and are a regular consumer of news.
- You have a desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic 24/7 news environment.
- You understand the flow of the daily news cycle and can speak to the day's top stories or the big talker of the week.
- You value world-class journalism and are eager to immerse yourself in features and projects that support that mission.
- Facilitating broadcast booking requests across time zones, managing a large volume of email and incoming calls.
- Producing TV and radio interviews in Washington Post studios. (No prior experience required.)
- Managing various PR projects, including drafting posts for the PR blog, building and updating press lists, creating daily, comprehensive media coverage reports and assisting with community partnerships.
- Growing the social media presence for the PR handles across platforms.
- Assisting with other general tasks that support the CCO, VP and team, such as maintaining supplies, managing expenses, event support, and more.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Careful attention to detail with good follow-through.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work on assignments from a variety of staff.
- Strategic thinker who can adapt and prioritize moment to moment.
- Customer service-focused; can easily establish rapport and develop credibility from colleagues and external business partners.
- Dynamic self-starter with strong decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including writing, proof reading and speaking.
- Willingness to work at events outside of work hours or to work extended hours when required; assist with managing on-site production and cleanup for events as necessary.
- Expertise with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
- Bachelor's Degree and 1-3 years related experience
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow