School Billing Specialist/Accountant(12 Months)
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. For over 40 years, the combination of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg, Largo and Landover, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12. We are currently accepting resumes for Staff Accountant candidates for our program in Largo. This is a 12 month position.
The mission of The Foundation Schools is to provide a highly specialized educational and therapeutic program for students preparing them to be productive and successful in their future academic and career paths. The Foundation Schools employs special education strategies and techniques to provide quality instruction that results in the students’ mastery of approved curriculum and that promotes social, emotional and cognitive learning. We effectively manage student behavior through implementation of behavior management systems, school rules and policies.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
The School Billing Specialist/Accountant maintains complete and accurate student accounts receivable records. They are responsible for collecting data, posting charges, and the billing and collection of funds from government localities for students' tuition and related services. The School Billing Specialist/Accountant serves as an effective liaison with county Educational Department personnel. The School Billing Specialist/Accountant provides support and back-up to other areas of the Finance Department, with emphasis on the general ledger functions, month end close process and financial analytics.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt employee
SUPERVISION: Reports to Director of Finance
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Complete data entry for monthly billing of tuition and related services provided to students; cross reference billing records to internal student data systems to ensure accuracy in regards to dates, times, attendance, missing or duplicate entries
- Reconcile student billing to the students’ IEPs to ensure services rendered are compliant with IEP requirements
- Coordinate and assist in the process Medicaid billing Transfer student billing data into accounting system; prepare, print and submit invoices to individual counties on a monthly basis in accordance to all company, county, district and state deadlines
- Monitor student enrollment and discharges in the student data base system and update student billing systems to reflect all changes
- Complete cost sheets for each MSDE student upon enrollment, discharge and when changes occur to approved related services; calculate expected annual costs for student tuition and related service and submit to the funding counties to be forwarded to MSDE; ensure cost sheets are completed accurately for each enrolled student; reconcile student billing to cost sheets to ensure end of fiscal year compliance
- Post to accounting system all payments received from counties; compare payments received to invoices issued to ensure payments are accurate or if adjustments are necessary
- Work with school personnel and leadership to secure information regarding to all related services billing and tuition charges; work with school personnel to resolve any problems to ensure accurate billing and to maximize collections of accounts receivable
- Transmit bank deposits by remote system upon receipt; document receipt of all deposits in accordance with department guidelines
- Monitor county partnership billing, calculate and project FTE requirements, maintain billing documentation for tuition and related services delivery and submit to counties by deadlines; act as liaison with county agencies in regards to all aspects of the partnership billing
- Maintain Cash Receipt journal for general ledger posting; record all deposits by account codes monthly as a reconciliation tool to bank statements
- Meet departmental deadlines with respect to billing and collections duties in order to maintain adequate cash flow for company operations Assist Director of Finance on monthly dashboard reporting and other revenue reporting / analysis, as needed
- Cross train on other accounting functions with emphasis on the general ledger functions, month end close process and financial analytics; act as a backup for other accounting functions as necessary
- Prepare for and assist with the annual audit process; compile reports, records and files that reflect proper accounting practices and principles were adhered to and appropriate documentation is available and accurate
- Maintain knowledge of state and federal laws that apply to accounts receivable rules, guidelines, policies, practices and procedures; help to develop departmental goals, objectives and systems to maintain compliance and to maximize departmental efficiency; interpret and communicate finance related information to appropriate staff and assist with updates to the Finance policy and procedural manuals
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement and professional development; actively participate in applicable staff development activities
- Consistently model and implement the company’s core values to incorporate Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect and Leadership into positive behaviors while at work Comply with all of The Foundation Schools’ policies, rules, protocols and procedures
- Complete other duties as assigned
Education, Experience and Certification
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related fields required
- Two or more years of experience in the Accounting or Finance preferred
- Knowledge of general ledger and accounts receivable practices is preferred
- Experience working with financial databases and billing systems preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is preferred
- Knowledge of student billing system is a plus
- Knowledge of General Accounting principles and practices