The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to hire multiple Research Analysts for full-time one-year, renewable appointments in its Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division (PHND). The successful applicant will provide support to research projects in the division’s exciting portfolio of research around social protection, nutrition, and gender dimensions of wellbeing, with a focus on two new nutrition-oriented research initiatives. This includes rigorous impact evaluations of innovative pilot programs and testing modalities for programs operating at scale. This research focuses on projects in Africa and South Asia. Position is based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington DC and is renewable based on performance and funding. Final grade level will be determined by level of education and years of relevant work experience.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with the development and implementation of quantitative surveys in developing countries, including sampling, questionnaire development, field team training (in person when feasible, based on COVID-19 health guidance; or remotely) and development of software applications for recording interview responses on tablet computers.
- Organizing, cleaning, and manipulating large household data sets
- Collaborating with the research team on analysis of household survey data, 24h dietary recall data, and data on nutritional status, among others.
- Conducting literature reviews and summarizing findings.
- Contributing to project reports and other deliverables, including by preparing tables and graphs, and drafting report sections.
- Supporting analysis for research papers for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
- Traveling to support survey data collection and meet with project partners (as feasible, based on COVID-19 health guidance).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assisting in preparing large datasets for public access.
- Research Analyst I: Bachelor’s degree plus two years of relevant professional experience or Master’s degree in nutrition, epidemiology, economics, agricultural and applied economics, public policy, or a closely related field
- Research Analyst II: Master’s degree in one of the above fields plus minimum of three years of relevant experience after the Master’s degree
- Demonstrated experience working with large quantitative data sets (data cleaning, management, analysis, etc.)
- Demonstrated training in or experience with the collection of, cleaning, and analysis of nutrition data such as 24h recall dietary intake data (including the calculation of usual intake and probability of nutrient inadequacy) and/or household food consumption and expenditure data (calculating energy and nutrient availability at the household level).
- Advanced Stata skills, including programming
- Experience interpreting and communicating the results of data analysis
- Ability and willingness to travel overseas
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, consistently meet deadlines and manage time well
- Demonstrated professional level of attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and minimal supervision
- Training and experience in methods for designing and conducting causal impact evaluations, including randomized controlled trials (RCT), and other methods
- Experience in survey design, questionnaire design, and conducting and supervising household surveys in developing countries; field experience on research projects related to gender, nutrition, social protection or agriculture.
- Experience with designing survey instruments using CAPI software packages (Survey CTO, CSPro, Survey Solutions, etc)
- Knowledge of regression methods
- Demonstrated strong writing skills
- Experience working in developing countries
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time.
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.