The Development Strategy and Governance Division of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of Research Analyst I. This is a full time, one-year, renewable appointment. This position is based at IFPRI headquarters in Washington, DC. The analyst will provide research support for quantitative studies on various topics related to gender and social inclusion, state fragility and conflict, agricultural productivity, market and value chain development, migration, agriculture-nutrition linkages, individuals’ aspirations and attitudes, public investment, and political economy. The analyst will clean and statistically analyze large and complex cross-sectional and panel datasets, analyze data including as part of causal impact evaluations, prepare graphics and tables summarizing findings, write up results, conduct trainings on survey questionnaire design and data analysis, manage datasets, and prepare and deliver presentations. It is expected that the analyst will have the opportunity to co-author research papers and reports.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Perform various tasks involving data cleaning and maintenance, data collection, and data analysis using Stata
- Assist in various research aspects of impact evaluations including sampling, randomization, power calculations, and preparation of pre-analysis plans
- Conduct literature reviews and syntheses
- Assist in the drafting and editing of research papers, blogs, policy briefs, technical guidance, presentations, etc.
- Participate in knowledge exchanges and remain current on literature, policies, and best practices related to gender and social inclusion, women’s empowerment, fragility and conflict, migration, market and value chain development, economic development, poverty reduction, social protection, public investment, governance, and agriculture
- Assist in the development of quantitative research methodologies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in in Economics, Agricultural Economics, international development or closely related fields plus two years of relevant professional experience or Master’s degree in above mentioned fields.
- Familiarity with data management, processing, and analysis in Stata, and major identification strategies in econometrics
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time
- Ability to multi-task, consistently meet deadlines, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills, including in providing regular updates on progress, proposing next steps, and communicating research findings through oral and written methods
- Strong willingness to learn as well as self-teach new technical skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct literature reviews, synthesize research findings, and draft policy briefs and research papers
- Experience preparing research presentations
- Experience in delivering trainings on survey questionnaire design and Stata analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and editing skills
- Experience conducting research in developing countries
- Experience with developing papers and presentations using Latex
- Strong knowledge of and background in impact evaluation, public investment, political economy, and gender research in developing and transition countries
- Experience in research paper and proposal development
- Willingness to travel internationally, if needed
Physical Demand & Work Environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.
Click on the following link to access the Research Analyst job application.https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=IFPRI&cws=43&rid=2735
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is an equal employment opportunity employer - F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity