The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland (Click here to learn more about our missions). This position could support working from home. Candidates must be in our local market to be able to report on-site when needed.
STScI Accounting Department is seeking a Senior Accountant within The Business Resource Center (BRC) to support the day-to-day accounting, month-end, and year-end close processes by providing technical expertise in general ledger activities with an emphasis in accounts payable. This position will prepare account reconciliations and ensure the appropriate accounting application for various complex transactions.
Your Role & Responsibilities include:
- Oversee the processing of Accounts Payable transactions ensuring invoices (purchase order invoices and non-purchase order invoices) are vouchered timely
- Closely works with stakeholders across the organization to verify Accounts Payable transactions
- Manages the timely, complete, and accurate processing of; travel advances, travel expenses, employee and non-employee reimbursements, and other requests
- Reviews necessary accounts payable (and related check run) reports in Deltek Costpoint for accuracy
- Participates in the weekly check runs
- Primary resource for accounts payable and other complex accounting inquiries from both internal and external stakeholders and conducts research/seeks resolution on a timely basis
- Performs general ledger analysis and reconciliations
- Manages vendor records, including W-9 forms
- Understands requirements and processing of 1099s for vendors and IRS reporting
- Assists in the development of new accounting systems, system conversions, upgrades and testing
- Provides mentoring and directs work
- Performs month-end closing and year-end closing functions
- Responsible for maintaining up-to-date procedures for critical functions
Your Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related business field
- 5+ years of experience in the Accounting profession
- Knowledge of concepts, theories, principles, and practices of general accounting (GAAP)
- Ability to anticipate and resolve complex problems, exercise sound judgement, and plan, organize, and prioritize multiple demands efficiently and effectively
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Deltek Costpoint and Microsoft Office
Desirable, but not required
- Accounts payable experience is preferred
- Public accounting experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of OMB Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance); Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR); and Cost Accounting Standards
- Certified Public Accountant or CPA candidate
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package (Click here to explore our benefits). STScI provides a flexible and welcoming workspace for all (Click here to learn more about our culture).
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by June 10, 2022 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Explore all career opportunities through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
COVID Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication by strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities (Click here to learn more about how we foster Diversity & Inclusion). Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.