Program Clerk, DND
Selection Process Nº: 77877-67
Salary: USD 50,149.00 per annum plus benefits
Contract Type: Indeterminate (Full-time)
Term Details: This position is a Locally Engaged Staff position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in USA
Job Function: Administrative
Classification: LE - A1
Location: the Embassy of Canada to the United States
Number of Vacancies: 1
Closing date for application: 8 July, 2022 at 23:59 UTC/GMT -5:00
Or use this link to apply: https://staffing-les.international.gc.ca/en/careers/program-clerk-dnd-wshdc-77877-en
Summary of Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Administration Officer at Canadian Defense Liaison Washington CDLS(W), the incumbent has the responsibility to control the information management and Central Registry functions at CDLS(W), through the use of the an electronic computer software application. The incumbent is the primary authority for the management of all correspondence at CDLS(W) and exercises considerable judgement in the handling and management of classified material in accordance with the Global Affairs Canada and the Department of National Defence security regulation. The incumbent determines the file structure and manages correspondence for action, the archival of documentation to the National Archives for long-term retention, and the destruction process of all other correspondence at the end of its shelf life.
Other duties include: the distribution and forwarding of mail to supported Canadian Armed Forces personnel posted across the US; data entry; the distribution/broadcasting of messages and emails on behalf of the Commanding Officer CDLS (W); processing of translation requests; and other duties as assigned by the Administration Officer.
Area of Selection:
Open to internal and external applicants who are residents of the United States having independent work authorization and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for employment in a foreign mission (US Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents or A, G or NATO-2 category visa-holders) who meet all of the essential requirements stated below and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the mission will not reimburse relocation costs under any circumstance and that the mission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
*Language will be assessed further during the process.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Successful completion of secondary school or equivalent.
- A proficiency level in English (reading, writing, comprehension and speaking).
- Experience working in office management and administration; Experience using Microsoft Office; and Experience in data entry and record keeping (physically and electronically).
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview (online pre-recorded/live or in-person), role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Knowledge of the requirements for the handling and storage of sensitive information and material; Knowledge of general administrative procedures and best practices including but not limited to filling, office organizational procedures email etiquette; and Knowledge and proficiency in computer software, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in written form using a clear and organized structure; Demonstrate attention to details.
- Initiative; Effective interpersonal relations; Sound Judgment
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications.
- Previous experience within a Military or Diplomatic environment. Knowledge of a secure information system/document classification; Being able to speak French would be great but not required;
- Hours of work: Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with Locally-Engaged Staff regulations of 37.5 hours per week. The successful candidate must be willing to work overtime on occasion and when required. Location of work: Work is normally performed on-site with some limited flexibility for teleworking
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment must be met or complied with before being appointed to a particular position, and are to be maintained throughout the employment while being the incumbent of this position.
- Valid work authorization: Ability to obtain and hold a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period.
- Security screening: Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security level) which includes a criminal and credit background check from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
- Must have Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions. In this respect, applicants must confirm independent work authorization in the United States (e.g. US Citizen, U.S Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), or specific visa categories (e.g. dependents of Diplomatic and Official Visas holders)) as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission.
Special Request from Mission / Additional Comments:
We offer a competitive salary, generous leave, 12 weeks of paid parental leave and a strong benefits package that includes medical, dental, long term disability and a retirement savings plan. Please find a summary of our benefits package and information on employment eligibility at:
How to Apply
- You must submit your application using the "Apply online" function. Only applications submitted via VidCruiter will be considered, unless a valid reason is presented and accepted prior to the closing date. Do not include personal data such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion or a picture in your application form, CV nor cover letter (as required). Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster. You must clearly demonstrate in answering the screening questions how you meet the education and experience factors listed in the essential and asset qualifications. You must provide specific examples to demonstrate clearly how you meet the qualifications. Global Affairs Canada cannot make any assumptions about your studies nor experience. Simply saying you have the required qualifications or listing your current duties will not be sufficient. Instead, you must provide concrete and detailed examples that clearly explain where, when, and how you gained the experience. No additional information will be sought beyond what you submit in your online application. Candidates may be required to upload a CV and/or a cover letter in English or French. These documents may be used as a secondary source to validate the answers to the screening questions. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information and/or which are not received by the closing date will be rejected. Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to LES-E-Recruitment-WSHDC@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). The language requirement for this position is identified under the essential qualifications (language). In consequence, the assessment process for this vacancy will be conducted in English. Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder. Reference checks may be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments. Please note that the Embassy of Canada to the United States does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs. Before an offer of employment can be made, successful candidates must provide a local residence address as proof of residence in the specified area of selection. This information is necessary to issue a letter of offer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact us at LES-E-Recruitment-WSHDC@international.gc.ca to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential. The results of this selection process may also be used to establish one or more pools of fully or partially qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the Embassy of Canada to the United States which might arise following the completion of this selection process. For Canadian citizens/residents and Canadian dual nationals, please note that it is your responsibility to enquire with the Canadian Revenue Agency about any possible taxation implications linked to an employment with the Government of Canada.