Section 508 Compliance Specialist
Section 508 Compliance Specialist capable of utilizing Adobe Acrobat Pro and the Microsoft Office 365 suite to test, modify, and remediate Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and PDF files to meet 508 compliance requirements. The Specialist also contribute to quality assurance and version control initiatives across the organization which result in publications and websites that comply with federal guidelines for accessibility compliance, Section 508, WCAG, and other accessibility best practices, as well as NQF’s brand and editorial standards.
The Specialist also contributes to efforts to establish the skill sets, staff, software tools, processes, and training necessary to consistently meet federally funded contract requirements. The Specialist works independently across the organization to provide accessibility compliance and 508 remediation support for contractual deliverables.
This position can be performed 100% remotely.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform Section 508 testing and remediation on PDF, MS Office output, and HTML websites in accordance with federal funder guidelines and 508 compliance requirements
- Contribute to Section 508 compliance instruction for NQF personnel
- Education of staff on the importance of accessibility and accessibility best practices
- Support for document creators and contractors by providing guidelines and tutorials on how to meet Section 508 requirements
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS Education/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, information technology, graphic arts, desktop publishing, or equivalent work experience
- IAAP CPACC Certification is a plus
- At least 3 years’ experience testing and remediating Microsoft Office app files and saving them as 508 compliant Acrobat PDF files for testing in Acrobat Pro, JAWs, and NVDA.
- Experience working on Federal Government contracts is a plus
- Mastery in Section 508 compliance assessments, remediation, testing, and best practices for electronic documents (e.g., PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to accurately identify accessibility issues, identify potential accessibility barriers and violations, and to remediate documents to meet current 508 compliance requirements
- Ability to test and remediate files in Adobe Acrobat Pro, including editing at the Tag level
- In-depth knowledge of the ADA Section 508 requirements
- Familiar with the Atlassian Jira job tracking system
- Comfortable working in an environment with the occasional rush job
- Able to self-schedule workload responsibilities somewhat independently without extremely close supervision with increasing independence while completing tasks efficiently
- Ability to effectively communicate required changes to existing procedures in order to streamline and automate the production of accessible media
- Work well on a team with a dedicated supervisor and mastery of adapting to and supporting changing needs of an organization and work responsibilities
- Strong attention to detail and a customer service mindset
- Proficiency in project, product or operational process support and coordination with increased depth of technical knowledge in area of work
- Effective oral and written communication skills
*NQF is open to accepting resumes from candidates at all levels within the 508 compliance field, so please apply with any level of experience.