Economic Development Manager
- City of Greenbelt
- Greenbelt, Maryland
- $75,000 -$90,000/year plus excellent benefits
- Jun 23, 2022
- Jul 28, 2022
- Government and Public Services
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
JOB SUMMARY AND DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK:
Coordinates the economic development operations and activities to achieve the goals and objectives of the City of Greenbelt. The work is performed under the direction of the City Manager, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this position establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials; city staff; businesses and community groups; developers; county, state and federal officials; and the general public. A significant focus of the work is in Business Retention and Expansion, working with and in support of, Greenbelt’s existing businesses.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implementing a Business Retention visitation and tracking program to support retention and expansion needs.
- Identifying resources and developing Economic Development initiatives designed to assist small businesses and entrepreneurs; and referring them to the appropriate business assistance agency to support their business growth needs.
- Identifying workforce development resources to assist businesses with workforce training and employee retention/recruitment.
- Serving as a liaison to businesses, professional groups, and county and state agencies.
- Maintaining strong working relationships with area businesses, clients, the media, the general public, and others having an interest in, or impact on, economic development for the City of Greenbelt.
- Providing advice and assistance in the City’s application and permitting process to businesses, property owners and developers.
- Maintaining an inventory of available office space, buildings and development sites within the City.
- Maintaining and updating a list of Greenbelt businesses.
- Monitoring and updating the Economic Development pages on the City website.
- Working with the City’s Public Information Office to promote economic development activities/events on the City’s social media platforms.
- Providing information and/or making presentations to the City Manager, City Council, boards, commissions, civic groups, businesses, and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services and plans.
- Remaining current on the principles, practices and trends in economic development through attendance at conferences, workshops, and training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in economic development, urban planning, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The salary range for this position is $75,000 to $90,000 with an excellent fringe benefits package. Interested applicants should complete a City of Greenbelt Application for Employment found on the website www.greenbeltmd.gov, resume (including references) and provide a cover letter.