Vice President for Strategic and Financial Planning
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Vice President for Strategic and Financial Planning reports to the Chief Operations Officer and works closely with the Executive Team to manage organizational annual planning and processes to advance the company’s strategic framework and long-term strategic plan. This position develops and leads an annual planning cycle – from annual planning & indirect budgeting to strategy and plan execution and reporting.This position also leads annual strategy workshops designed to gather input and engagement to develop and advance the company's strategic framework and long-term strategic plan. In addition, this position manages organization-wide policies and other special projects, as assigned.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office or partially remote. Ultimately this position may work remotely from the US, partially remote from our Washington, DC office, or fully in-office for candidates based in the DC area.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Working with the executive team, lead the development of the company's long-term strategic framework and plan on external information and analysis (mission challenges, market, industry, funders, partners, competitors, etc.) as well as internal historical and needs analysis.
- Integrate the strategic framework and plan into annual planning, budgeting, and management workflows and decisions to guide the organization towards strategy-reinforcing decisions.
- Lead internal strategy review processes to ensure the strategy evolves and adapts to changing market and mission conditions.
- Build a strategic framework workplan, designed to capture progress against goals. Guide staff to both keep the strategy alive on the HIVE, as well as to prepare regular reports on progress, for management, staff, and the board of directors.
- Engage Internews' executives and senior staff group as key stakeholders in advancing the strategy, including supervising the planning of strategy and planning meetings and retreats and managing the Teams Strategy and Planning forums.
- Identify industry trends and new possibilities / opportunities and effectively communicate key data.
- Lead the design of and manage staff to organize annual strategy workshops.
- Lead, organize, and/or consult ad hoc task forces that are created to implement projects under the strategy.
Operational Planning and Execution
- Manage the annual planning process for the organization to align strategy with indirect budget requests and annual plans of the organizations' departments and program management units.
- Revise, iterate and manage the portfolio review process to assess the performance of program implementation units against their goals, plans, and budgets.
- Arrange executive feedback mechanisms for increased staff input and engagement.
- Develop and manage framework and reporting to ensure the execution of Internews' strategy and operational plan across organization.
Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Lead strategic, operational, financial, and budget analysis and decision-support for executives, senior management, and the board of directors.
- Develop FP&A framework, systems, and processes to provide ongoing reporting, forecasting, analysis, and scenario planning.
- Develop organizational key performance indicators to support Executive decisions and resource allocations.
- Identify financial trends and new possibilities / opportunities and effectively communicate key data.
- Coordinate regular planning, budget and information sharing meetings with key staff.
- Gather and analyze internal and external information for strategic planning processes.
- Synthesize budget management and decision support across the alliance.
- Oversee alliance operations related issues between Internews US and Internews EU (and Internews International).
- Oversee the coordination of the inter-alliance structural and organizational agreements, as needed.
- Lead/support One Internews Integration efforts to unify Strategic and Financial Planning functions across the alliance.
- Oversee the resolution of alliance issues, including alliance strategy, plans, operations, agreements, resource sharing, cost allocations, and budgets.
- Facilitate organization-wide policy, guidelines, and principles development to align strategy, mission, and values with the organization's practices.
- Manage the process for review and approval of new organization-wide policies by the executive team and, if necessary, board of directors.
- Build and maintain systems of reporting and accountability for organization-wide policies.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- At least 10 years of management experience in relevant industry or non-profit and/or 5 years' experience of management in international non-profit organizations.
- Media development background, including traditional, news and social media. Expertise in strategic and financial planning and analysis. Experience with sustainability models for media is a plus.
- Experience with foreign aid funding business model. Experience working with the U.S. Agency for International Development, other USG agencies, European Union, Sweden or other bi-lateral funders a major plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team in a flexible, dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening.
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively.
- Analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Experience living and working abroad on development projects a plus.
- Fluent English is required, additional languages a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments.
- A willingness to travel as needed, mainly to Internews operations overseas and to offices in Washington, DC, London, UK, and Arcata, CA.